cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brittharsh

I am sick of being sick.....

Good Morning Everyone, 

I quit 10 days ago and I am so proud of the way I have been controlling my cravings. I used a patch for the first week and then with Easter I decided that it wasn't worth buying them as well. The only thing is now I am ill. I have a horrible sore throat, I can't stop coughing, my nose keeps running, I break out in sweats and I can barely sleep. I know that these are usually withdraw symptoms but I haven't seen many people discussing them. There are many people that I have spoken with that say they just get moody and a headache; whereas I feel like I was hit by a MAC Truck. I am hoping I am not alone. I can handle the cravings I try to tell myself that it is mental and I can overcome anything mental, but this is physical and I am not sure how long I can keep this up. I was hoping someone could shed some light on how long this will last and what I can do to try to ease the symptoms, I have been trying to eat healthy and exercise but I can barely even motivate myself to get out of bed. 

Thank you everyone for listening to my rant, 

Hope you have a great day!

Brittany

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

Doesn’t sound much like withdrawal symptoms. I’m going to say you have the flu.

Daniela2016

When you quit, you will be coughing; your lungs go through a self cleaning process, eliminating the many bad deposits from the cigarette smoke.  But the sweats and running nose sound much like you have a cold/flu.  However, starting smoking again will only make your throat hurt more, and your cough unbearable.  Drink lots of liquids, orange juice is really helpful during withdrawal and with the cold/flu, take some aspirin (with food), and feel better soon.

Don't give up, you are doing the right thing for your health!

Here are some electronic spring flowers for you (real ones might trigger your allergies )

Sootie

Sorry you are sick......I am too. I think you may have a cold or the flu. I am calling mine a cold because "The Flu" sounds SO SERIOUS  !!!! I have your exact same symptoms and I have been quit for 8+ years.....so it's not withdrawal!

The GREAT thing is after being quit for a number of years I no longer worry "Is this anything more serious than just a cold"

Hang in there you are doing great and you'll get over this "whatever it is". It IS hanging on for quite some time with most people around here.....many have had it.

Feel better soon.

annaaustin623

I feel like I have been hit by a MAC truck too, you are not alone and I am only on day 2 of not smoking at all. I cant sleep but I am exhausted and really want to sleep like if it was an option to take a tranquilizer and sleep through the next week of doing this I would be signing up lol . I do exercise, I did before I quit and it does help if you force yourself. I have headaches, cough and a sore throat by the end of every day. I have been told this is just the body cleaning out the lungs but feels like a bad cold. 

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

I'm on day four and my cough has finally eased up.  Had to sleep in another room, so I wouldn't wake anyone up.  But they don't mind and my husband missed me...awww.