cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I am brand new to this and really want to stop smoking after being a smoker for well over 50 years,what do I do first

I am brand new to this site and really want to stop smoking after being a smoker for over 50 years, what is my first step.

20 Replies

Everyone is offering up excellent advice. 

Remember, you are not alone! We are all here, and we have all been where you are.

I smoked for about 30 years, and decided enough was enough.

Determination was my key, pledging, and after I pledged, I was true to my word, so pledging saved me.

Stick around, read, ask questions, if you are struggling, please cry out for us to help, we can help you through the rough spots.

Thovis

You will get great advice on this site.  The only advice I will offer is pretty simple.....  When you quit, that's it.  It's your decision.  Don't delay the next cigarette hoping the craving will go away someday.  That doesn't work.  

I smoked for 43 years and gave them up 70 days ago and never looked back.  I have seen people struggle hard with quitting, while I seem to be breezing through it.  The only difference I can explain is that I made a decision to quit and when I make a decision I own it.  

Best of luck!  

Barbscloud

You've already gotten great advice, just want to add my welcome to the Ex.

Barb

Verogarcia72

Pick an important date such as birthday or anniversary, start 10 wk patch program , keep lollipops and write your WHY and keep with you You can do it,. Think of your health . 

0 Kudos
Pawr

Knowledge is powerful. You're going to be tested every day and often at the beginning. The mental and physical discomfort is real and the cravings can be very strong.  Resist! Each time you resist the length of time between expands and the strength of the crave is reduced.  Prepare yourself mentally,  in my case I know that one smoke would be a great treat, I also know that the pleasure is fleeting and I will want another soon after. If you want to succeed you can NEVER SMOKE A SINGLE STINKING CIGARETTE. 

Pawr

I'm guessing we're around the same age. Read how many people here have quit because of a major health problem.  If you're not one of them yet you're looking at it. I  know that I was. I think I can say COPD, heart attack and all the other things are significantly less likely. I feel good about myself, you can too. Good luck and keep at it. Everyone here went through the miserable days and it's still hard today.

Verogarcia72

Very true

0 Kudos
Augustus44

There is lots of good advice here for you to think about. I'm now reading the Easy Way To Quit Smoking book now. It's interesting but it keeps my mind on the fact that I've quit  ( 26 Days). I'm relying on the fact that a Nic Fit lasts only as long as a few minutes. Writing here helps me. I'm about to take a long walk in 20 degree temps, but I won't be smoking. I have been amazed that the withdrawal symptoms have been remarkably absent. I just decided to quit on the 20th of October and did it. Realize that you and I are ADDICTS, and we need to distance ourselves from those crummy life robbing cigarettes--thank you so much tobacco companies. By the way, it's harder for us because cigarette nicotine has increased since we started smoking. 

If you want to write back, at any time, I'm here and ready to help--I hope you'll help me as well. This, WE CAN DO!" 

Haven't been quite 24 hrs. yet but so far so good, that taking a walk sounds like something that could help, thanks Sent from my Metro By T-Mobile 4G LTE Android Device

sweetplt

Good job 

0 Kudos