cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sammieo

I Really Want to Successfully Quit this Time!

I've tried to quit vaping more than a handful of times, the longest I've made it in about 2 and a half years is 6 days. I've tried Nicotine Patches but fell back into my pattern of vaping 3 days later (this was even after having a tonsillectomy). I really want to quit and I'll be the first to admit that I'm addicted. So, tips or words of advice would be sooooo appreciated, because I'm determined to make it stick this time. My quit date plan is 2/28/2020. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!!!! Thank you!

13 Replies
Margaretd

In addition to all the wisdom, I would add; "just do it".  If not now - when?  

Change the thinking pattern of; "I can't do this rather say and believe,  " I can do this - I must."

good luck.  You can quit.  Big tobacco will be upset but who cares.

elvan

You CAN do this, pay attention to the wisdom you have so generously been given.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

argylesox

There are a number of approaches you could take but you didn’t mention what you were vaping.  I vaped for a period of time but it didnt take for me, however I know a fair amount about it (I have a vape with a dead battery so it’s not doing me too good is it?).  I would steer clear from the JUUL at all costs.  They don’t disclose the ratio of their ingredients as proprietary, and the nic level in them is insane.  They have high levels of nic salts that most mom and pop vape shops will reserve only for the heaviest of smokers looking to quit. 

that being said, you could quit vaping entirely, using a cold turkey approach or using NRT.  Or you could use the vape to quit which I know sounds ironic, but you could use refillable pods if you aren’t already and lower the nic content over time.  The trick would be to not overcompensate because a vape doesn’t go out like a cig does, so if you lower the nic content but you vape twice as much you defeated the purpose.  You would have to closely monitor your vaping habits.  

a middle ground could be to use nicotine free vaping liquid in order to break free from the addiction prior to breaking the habit, something that I have heard of both smokers and vapers doing prior to stopping altogether.  

I hope this helps you.  I’m working on my plan to quit cigs soon and trust if I could take my own advice on vaping I would (what I know about vaping comes from a very concerted effort made in the past to vape rather than smoke).  

Maki

I can only share what helped me . I never vaped btw . 

1) I used the support site daily ... almost 24/7 for as long as it took . 

2) I educated myself on addiction by reading posts from other quitters . I watched elders and followed them . 

3) I told myself that smoking was not an option so I'd have to do something different . 

4) The way out of this mess we got ourselves in to , is through . Smoking and vaping only feeds the devil . Starve it . 

5) Journal , blog , paint , use something as your outlet . 

6) Write a bucket list of things you have always wanted to do but didn't . Do them one by one . 

7) Take up a new hobby , find your interests .

😎 Help others . 

9) Walk , Walks lots 

10) Reward yourself . It is not necessary that it be something expensive , perhaps print off a certificate , buy a plant , nurture, water and care for it like your quit .

11) Small goals ... write small goals on a calender and keep your quit til you achieve each one . 

12) Patience , one day at a time . It's not a race . You are in it for the long haul . If you are the hare or the turtle it doesn't matter as long as you keep going , that's all that matters . 

13) Stay in the present . Don't look ahead and don't look back . The present is the gift . 

14 ) Vaping is not an option , its off the table .

15) You are vape free as of day 1 .

Think it ,  believe it , achieve it . 

Because      You       Can      Do      It . 

Maki