cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ivan_EU

I QUIT

Yesterday I stopped smoking. Day 1. It is tough. But I am glad to be free. I truly hope it will carry on!

Tags (1)
167 Replies

it never goes away; it's just simply different.  it's something you have to be willing to live with and understand and comes to grips with.  Just like an alcoholic never wants to drink, they just simply CHOOSE not to. 

Ivan_EU

It is so fascinating to hear it leaves you without problems of cravings. This helps so much guys

0 Kudos
elvan

It is OKAY to FEEL...smoking just stops you from experiencing things normally.  It is OKAY to be angry or sad or stressed...it is NORMAL and it is part of life.

0 Kudos
Barb102

It truly is!  We still go through it just not as bad as the beginning. Plus we would never want to start over

Barb

Ivan_EU

I believe you. Okay, I am still smoking btw. Just I don't want that someone thinks I am hypocrite and lying here!

But I am trying to quit.

0 Kudos
Barb102

No guilt. But how r u trying to quit?  You need to first be ready to really quit. Then you have to read everything you can on how to quit and what to expect. It’s not easy so you really have to want to quit. I’m 107 days after many short fails. I wasn’t really ready. I didn’t do my homework. But I did this time I never want to smoke again in my life. So I was ready. Even now if I didn’t read about NML I wouldn’t know what was happening after all this time. Pleas read Make sure u are ready. Have plans Then and only then can you set a date. See we have all been there. I talked for years about quitting. I just talked. This time I want it so much. I cut down each day. Wrote my triggers down set the date and prayed for strength. My prayers were answered on this site. We are here for you when you are ready. 

Barb

Ivan_EU

Still not ready...

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Hi Ivan.  I totally get the hesitation, but I know when I relapsed I went hog wild and knew that it wouldn't get easier if I continued.  There's never a "good" time to quit.  Putting it off is very risky.  Like many others here you don't want to wait until a doctor tells you "bad" news.  Please try to set a date soon and then take it one day at a time.  

All the best,

Michelle

do a T-chart, pros on one side and cons on the other.  On the pro side list all your reasons for NOT quitting.  On the con side, list all your justifications for the each one and be honest with yourself.  My main reason for not quitting was fear of the unknown.  I was the I'm dying with a cigarette and a drink in my hand and going down and having fun.  BUT as I got older, I'm wheezing, I'm getting more cramps in my hands and legs.  43 years of smoking has now started to take its toll.  What exactly was I missing out on?  Well, I missed out on 10 minutes with my smoking friends as they're all huddled in the smoking section.  I missed out on my yellow ET finger.  I missed out constantly checking when I go somewhere of where's my lighter, how windy is it, is it going to rain, is there smoking allowed and where is the smoking section, do I have enough packs.  

Now, I know my friends will be back after they smoke.  I'm not longer discolored.  When I want to go somewhere, I just go. And I'm not blowing $250 or so a month buying those things anymore.  You see I started smoking when I was 12 to be cool.  I got up to full-blown when I was 16.  That was back in the '70s when everybody was smoking.  Smoking kept me company when I was alone and calmed me down when I was upset or angry or so I thought.  It wasn't the smoking that I had a problem with.  it was the nicotine in them that I had a problem with after.  I can't stop at one.  I get the taste of it, I'm off and running.  Why are some people smokers and why are others not?  could it be our upbringing?  My dad smoked when I was small.  I loved the smell of it, but I associated the smell with my father.  I have friends that also had parents that smoked and they don't.  that mystery is yet to be solved.  But all I know is that after 43 years, I quit.  I came here and learned about what nicotine does to the brain.  I learned about behavior modification, understanding why and when I smoked which I hope you're doing since you're still smoking.

I won't preach to you about the health risks of smoking.  We all know that.  I'm not going to tell you that it's going to kill you some day.  We know that too.  but I will tell  you that if you put your brain into it, dig your heels in, stick to your guns and simply say I'm not smoking today and move along one day at a time, you can do this, https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/general-support/blog/2018/01/17/trust-the-process?sr=searc...‌.  If you fail, get right back on that horse and try again.  figure out the reasons why you keep running back to smoking.  What do you believe it's doing for you, (hence the tracking tool, Track Your Tobacco and Identify Your Triggers | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX ).  Devise your plan once you figure out your own personal reasons for smoking for replacing smoking with something else.  You smoke when you're stressed.  Instead of smoking, get yourself a stress ball.

I hope you take the leap.  You are ready to because you are on here asking questions.  Just take it one day at a time.  Cold turkey isn't for you; try the patch.  Wait every time you feel the need to light up for a minute or two.  I've now been quit for over 2 years and I smoked close to 2 packs to 3 before I decided to finally give it up.  Just do it.  You'll be glad you did.............

a5492fdf3633065e3d835fa8cc88d471.jpg

GyorgyiM

" I TOLD YOU SO" s........do come true.

You wont look the same in 30 years............

You wont act the same in 30 years..........

You will question your actions from 30 years ago.....

You will ask yourself why? 

Why didn't I listen.......

and either you will have NO CHOICE but to change., because your health will be making your LIFE miserable...

or it will be TOO LATE......

"We" DON'T want to every say "We told you so".....

Smiles.........................

0 Kudos