cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mimi6

I Need New Friends...I need to talk about this with someone...I need help 20yrs plus smoker

I have suffered from depression for a while now and working hard to get my life back. I had a job injury which forced me to work from home. I feel like a prisoner in my own home, I smoke way too much here all day. I work and go to school and cigarettes have been my friend through it all. When I go out most of the people I am around smoke, however, when I am out and about I don't smoke much and don't think about cigarettes much when I work outside the house. I plan to change how I work in the next few months but I want to quit so bad because the stress of depression and cigarettes have given me high blood pressure and I need to stop now. I put my quit date as today but I am not sure if I am ready...in fact they said I was not ready because I have to learn how to seperate my daily activites and cigarettes. I just feel very weak now and emotional and need some support and bad...I do feel great inside that I am not smoking, but I am craving so horribly it is taking away from the good feeling. How should I do this go cold turkey or what?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
mizzbflye

Well cold turkey happened to me, I didn't plan it, I just decided to stop smoking and got through each day by that state of mind then a week later realized I didn't use anything to quit like I wanted to. If smoking is on your mind all the time a smoke aide may be helpful. I work at home and this was also a big obstacle because no one could stop me or look down at me at home(only ME). Honestly I think its the environment. Once I moved then I was more confident to quit..so maybe change around your house, throw away the smoking stuff,ashtrays, anything linked to it, Get some air freshner, candles, stay away from the friends that smoke. STOP smoking in the house, go outside, this will definetly segregate you and then you'll start to think about what your doing... that helped me alot when I was trying to quit. Everyone at this site is here to help other will give you more tips, advice and support if this doesn't help...
keep in touch and let us know how it goes
0 Kudos
mimi6

Ok thank you, I havent slipped yet , but I will go back to the plan and better prepare for this...I appreciate your comment and response so quickly thanks.
0 Kudos
mimi6

Very good suggestions thank you. I need to break my old bad habits and these are some good ideas that my brain cant seem to think clearly or rationally right now...thank you I will try these ideas and come a runnin back if I need more support thanks.
0 Kudos
mimi6

Thank you, I realize that I have to get my family more involved to help me out a bit change is something I really need and bad thanks again I will try all of these suggestions.
0 Kudos
mimi6

Thank you all these reponses are already giving me strength.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

new friends....only clicks away... u can do it !

make it happen with positive attitude and a successful plan of attack

it is doable!

i offer my smoke free experience if requested
0 Kudos
suzzy12345

I know for myself as a pack a day smoker for 20 years, I was going to struggle, and I was going to have to reach out to a professional (Doctor) and talk out my issues, concerns, etc.. It took me a couple of visits with him, and I finally got it!!! I have been smoke free since May 6th....with the help of the patch. I will not deny that I have had good days, and bad....but that is all the course of nature....and is common when quitting any addiction. You need to keep the attitude in check, turn around some way of thinking.....and then start walking down the path that leads forwards. You may have a 'hic-up' (relapse) - this is okay, and is common - do not beat yourself up over it, - just get up, brush yourself off, and start back down your path leading forward. Always remmber and never forget....we are all here for you!
0 Kudos
janique

Hello Mimi, I just want to say CONGRADULATIONS on your quit!! My name is Janique. I have been smoking for 17yrs. and I'm on my 5th day of my quit. I over the years have tried Cold Turkey, patches, and Welbutrin, and now I'm on CHANTIX. I strongly believe that my past attempts were not sucessful because I really wasn't ready. Now I am and with the Chantix's help and my strong desire to quit I will beat this addiction. I did alot of research and came to this site and just visiting it helped me see that I wasn't alone. I read alot of peoples stories and their responses to others and made my decision to join them and when I went to my dr for a check -up I said I am ready to QUIT SMOKING and we discussed how I was feeling about it and my fears and what I had tried in the past and he put me on CHANTIX for a month then I go back to see him and we will see how it goes. you should keep researching your options and find what works best for you. I have stopped sodas because they make me want to smoke and I have been avoiding things that remind me of smoking, and people who smoke for now until I feel I can handle it. I have also told everyone that I know about my quit and that helps me stay strong too. I have changed my eating habits as well, to become more healthy. I chew sugar free,gum, I have a bag of mints and some cinnamon candies to help with the cravings and honestly I haven't used them much. I also keep telling myself that smoking is not an option anymore!!!!!! You can do this and we are all here to help you through this tough time. Blogging helps to let out stress. Sometimes you just need to vent!! Well take care of yourself and be strong, you will be ok.
0 Kudos
zeke

You have received excellent advice so I simply offer my best wishes and support!!!!
0 Kudos