cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pktabron

I NEED TO QUIT "AGAIN" OMG

Hello Ex Family,

I am so sorry to say that I fell off that wagon a few months ago.

I am trying to get back up. I don't think I stopped more than a day each time I tried.

I am going to be here a lot and realize this is the only way I can do it.

I am going back on Chantix but at a very light does since I had such a bad experience.

But it seemed to be the only thing that worked so far.

I have been using the patch, but my mind out wits me every time.  I take it off after work and smoke.

If I can get through the day, it means my mind is telling me it's ok you did good, so you can smoke during the evenings.

BS....no I don't want to do that.

My Dr told me on Friday that I have mild emphysema shown up on my CT scan.

So no matter what it takes, it's a now or never quit.

Thank you for what ever advice you can give me.
I am new here really.

Pam

50 Replies
IrishRose

I was reading your blog, and I became alarmed when reading about how you take off the patch to smoke.  Just want to warn you - that is very dangerous to do - use a patch, but continue to smoke.  Not to mention how nauseous it can make you feel, you take the chance of getting nicotine poisoning.  Although, we poisoned our systems with smoking for however long, "nicotine poisoning" is another term for "too much nicotine at one time". 

Why do you want to stop smoking?  Just wondering - we all have reasons as to how we got here to this site.  Do you want to share your reason with us.  Hope you do!

Take what you need, and leave the rest.

(((hug))) for you.

Irish Rose 

pktabron

HI Irish Rose,

I am now quit for 6 days - no cig, and 7 MG patch for most of the day.

I will cut patch in half probably next week, so I will only get 3.5 MG's

I am quittiing for a variety of reasons, but the main reason is that I have been diagosed with Mild Emphysema.
I quit playing with the cigs and patch on and off thing immediately.  I stopped smoking cigs, but use the patch and chantix to make it through.

I am going to reduce the nicotine patches slowly, but yesterday (day off from work) the patch fell off, I don't know where it is and I have pets. That'0s one reason why I would take it off when I leave work to come home, so as not to bring it home.  So now I must be extra careful when wearing the patch, and hopefully I find the lost patch soon.

Thanks

Pam 6 DOF

IrishRose

I will tell you, there is nothing MILD about Emphysema.

When I was a little girl, I got to hang with my Aunt and Uncle in Long Island during the summer.  Uncle Jerry was not allowed to smoke anywhere on the property, because Aunt Betty would not allow it.  She was an RN nurse, and Uncle Jerry  was diagnosed with Emphysema.  There was no garbage pick up where they lived in Hampton Bays, so you had to take your garbage to the landfill.

Uncle Jerry was constantly taking trips to the dump.  I would ride with him all the time.  Uncle Jerry kept a pack of unfiltered camels hidden under the car seat.  He would puff away to and from the landfill.  I watched him slowly decline, and I was too young to know anything about what was killing him.  My Uncle Jerry met his demise, because he had Emphysema and did not quit smoking. 

Glad to hear this is your 6th day; guard it with your life, because it is your life you are talking about.  Let it be part of your commitment - a commitment to live.

Big ((((hug)))) for you!

Irish Rose   

pktabron

Thank you Irish Rose, I needed to hear that story. It does give me motivation.  Commit to life.  I love that

Hug back to you to 😘

Pam

IrishRose

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

YOU GOT THIS!!!!

Your Body Can Do It Convince Your Mind Motivational Quote 8 x 10 Sport Poster Print

Miles of Smiles.........................

0 Kudos
diamond01

Hi, I quit for 6 months, and decided I wanted to smoke again, but then I started to get my cough back so I was sitting outside in the morning and just said I am done with this, and quit, so today is 13 days I never had a quit day, and this has been the easiest quit for me because I know I am done this time forever, you can do it to.

pktabron

Yay Diamond!!!!  yes, you know when you know it's done...that's how I feel this time too

0 Kudos
elvan

It's a journey and it WILL get easier...I am considered by my pulmonologist to have MODERATE COPD, with emphysema...hmmm, I had to have both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed...not sure what's moderate about that.  I do work out and try to take the best care of myself that I can.  I tire so easily that it's annoying, to say the least.  My doc's office said I am supposed to use the nebulizer twice a day during hot and humid weather...no one told me that until my last appointment.  I use it as needed but not every day.  

I am glad you are cutting back the patches and not smoking....the patch you lost may be in the car or outside.  The animals are probably too smart to want to get near it.

Hugs,

Ellen

pktabron

Elvan, do you feel better since the lobe removal?  can you walk around the block to get your exercise?

You are not on O2 right?

0 Kudos