cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula19

I JUST WANT IT OVER AND DONE

I AM SO EMOTIONALLY ADDICTED EVERYTIME I QUIT I LOSE MY BEST FRIEND!! I TORTURE MYSELF WITH THIS SINCE 1999 I HAVE BEEN QUITING I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT RIGHT!! PHYSICALLY I ALWAYS FEEL SO MUCH BETTER EXCEPT FOR THE WEIGHT GAIN!! MENTALLY I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GET UP OUT OF BED!! I HATE LIFE WITHOUT THEM, BUT I CANT SMOKE THEM ANYMORE BECAUSE I PHYSICALLY GET SICK ALL THE TIME!! I HAVE SMOKED FOR 34 YEARS AND QUIT OVER 23 TIMES!! AND I AM ONLY A HALF A PACK A DAY SMOKER NOW FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS WHY IS THIS SO HARD! SOMETIMES I EVEN GET SUICIDAL FROM IT ALL!! IM IN MY 11TH DAY AGAIN BUT CHEATED 3 TIMES AND SMOKED 1 HERE AND THERE!! I SUCK ON THESE INHALERS ALL THE TIME!! THE GUM, PATCH AND COLD TURKEY DIDN'T CUT IT THE NICOTROL INHALER HELPS BECAUSE GUESS WHY, IT IS LIKE A CIG TO ME!! GOD HELP ME!! AND IS IT REALLY TRUE THAT IF U KEEP QUITTING AND GOING BACK IT IS WORSE FOR UR LUNGS? I HEARD THAT TWICE NOW!!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
tracy9

Hang in there. I was a pack a day smoker but the doc put me on wellbutrin for depression and anxiety. I quit smoking only becasue they didnt taste as good as they did, I had no withdrawals and slept quite well. Was hesitant at first but decided to give it a try. My last cigarette was March 7th and I really havent wanted one since. Going to bars was a struggle at first but I chewed on a straw and really, the smell of the cigarettes were making me a little sick to my stomach. Give it a try. Sounds like you really want to quit. You just have to change your routine which was difficult for me at first. But I am bound and determined to quit this time. And I believe I am on my way.

Let me know

Good luck
Tracy
0 Kudos
mrs.b

Hi Paula ~
Ya I've heard that too. Just hang in there keep trying, sometimes I think it's hard just finding what works for YOU!!
I'm the same way, an emotional smoker. Just remember you are not alone in the struggle. We can all do this we just need to find the right things that work for us individually. You'll be in my prayers and hopes. If you haven't checked it out the panic button on your program page has some cool stuff to check out ~ I'm gonna be using that one alot...
Huggles
Mrs. B ~
0 Kudos
misty8

Paula,
You sent me a friend request, and i am now answering you.. let me tell you a little something... my mother of 62 (if my math is right) died Jan. 6th 2006, of guess what? lung cancer (but, what took her last breath was a grand heart attack) she was my best friend.. my dr. has been hounding me for years that i need to quit.. (naturally) but, here this year really strongly telling me that i was going to die.. i was entering COPD land, sucking on inhalers, cause i smoked so much i couldnt breath at night, he was getting ready to notify my health insurance where to deliver the oxygen bottle.. and i decided, i have three beautiful young men, named Ryan, Brandon, & Christopher. (my children).. Brandon is the only one that smokes now, and everytime i get near him, (he pretty much lives with me) what a stink! whew! even tho i have hit a cig here and there a couple of times (but, just a hit or two..no more) maybe 5 times at most over the last almost 2 months.. i also used to take a cig to the bathroom with me... (blush) but, u have to re-learn!! that after dinner one, the ride in the car one, that one with ur friends, that after a sweet tooth one, that when u wake up in the morning one, and with coffee one... (i quit drinking coffee).. play with a straw in your mouth, it may sound stupid, but, that can help, hand to mouth movement. hell, paula, even if u gain a little weight, wouldnt u rather gain a few, which can be dropped quickly, or slowly, whatever, once u have ahold of the cituation? than die from lung cancer? and kill everyone around you? hey, i have gained.. but,, i know i can loose, (and i am handicapped) but, i will figure out how.. choose carrot sticks.. suck on suckers, chew gum.. i never smoked when i chewed gum cause of the possiblity of mouth cancer. so chew away, i dont care if you go thru 10 (15 packs) of gum a day, its better than smoking that cigg. go for a walk.... breath in the FRESH AIR! spring clean ur house, so it doesnt stink... u may have not gotten far enough to smell that awful smell that embeds a smokers clothes, breath, hair, etc.. but, i have and it is not very nice... drink water, take a shower everytime u want that cigg.. you will smell good, and not want to stink it up... cleanse ur self... i take prenatal vitamins, my hair is growing, my nails are growing, i dont have bags under my eyes.. paula think about urself, and others around u. at ur point, u cannot be around smokers!! at all.. u have gotta want to live, more than u want to die... measure it up hon... it is very hard on me too... i have smoked since i was 11 yrs old.. and i will be 45 in october.. and i was up to 5 packs a day.. so, paula, i think if u want to be healthy, and FREE not always making sure u have ur ciggs.. being able to go out at a whim, not forgetting anything... stay outside doing a craft as long as possible.. do gardening.. treat urself with something you like or want, with that money u usually spend on death in a tube!! breath paula BREATH the FRESH AIR!!!! i dont know if i have helped u at all, but, i will try, and we will go on together SMOKELESS!! (and richer!)
😃
misty
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha again, it sounds to me you think of your quits as something you are doing TO yourself not FOR yourself. you are allowing yourself to wallow in negative thoughts that do nothing but make things worse. change your mind set and you will change your life. when you find yourself thinking things that bring you down, try hard to replace the thoughts with positive thinking that will lifet you up and out of your old negative thoughts. there really is no way to quit easily. this is a hard core drug and you are addicted to it. you have to knuckle down and walk through it. it isn't easy on any of us. my last detox was the worst ever. I didn't know how I would get past it. but I did and I know you can too. I even had the added crap of hot flashes on top of the craves for smoking. there is no easy way out but there is a way out. go for it, stay busy and positive and don't smoke. you will do it
0 Kudos
Giulia

Go to your library and get a copy of Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." Or buy it. It will help you with the mind games you're playing with yourself.

Nicotine literally ALTERS your brain patterns. It creates something that wasn't there to begin with. When we were kids we had no desire for cigarettes, did we? We got along in life quite well without them. And you can again. You just have to re-train yourself. You're making it harder than it needs to be. Change your mind set. It's all in you mind. Half a pack is still keeping the nicotine messing with your brain. So is cheating. You're not helping yourself. Stop it.

(2 years 2 mos + free of the buggers)
0 Kudos
manofsteele

meet your new friends if you keep your old friend .....

Oxy Gen , Hospi Tal and maybe Big C ..... just think how lucky you will be spending so many hours with people in bright happy colored uniforms .... hope you will also like their friends like needles, radiation, chemo , pills and wigs... you will have so many new friends

so keep fooling yourself and thinking they are your friends ... do you only have friends that want to kill you ....just real slow and painful?

ps - i was not much better than you just 4 years ago .... now i have stopped making excuses and do not ever want those types of friends back... hope you can see the light before its too late ....
0 Kudos
fiveblessings

(((Paula)))

Cigarettes are not your best friends. Your best friends would not try to kill you.
My longest quits were always blown by a stessful moment....arguments with my husband, my son being injured, difficulties at work. In order to stay quit this time I have to find other ways of dealing with my emotions. Cigarettes give us a smoke screeen to hide our emotions behind. Quitting is scary because it puts everything right out there. But this is not a bad thing. My feelings deserve to be heard. And now that I'm quit I intend to voice them (within reason of course). I'm more ashamed of all the cigarettes I smoked than of anything I feel.
One day or even one minute at a time. This is something you CAN do . Believe in yourself, girl! You're worth it!
0 Kudos
mr1957

I have been smoking for 36yrs. I went fishing with a friend on Sat. As we were leaving we had to hike up a hill that was fairly steep and about 100yds long. I was completely out of breath. Now I'm 51 and can bench press 225 a few times { the same weight that the NFL combine uses to test rookies} I am not anywhere near that good of shape..lol, but for 51 I'm not bad, untill I was on that hill!! I gotta look in the mirror and realize that the only person I'm bullshiting is me. My worst fear is not death, but rather being a cripple and low and behold I'm making me one. I watched my dad die of bladder cancer. This cancer is a smokers cancer also. Dieing is not the problem.....what he went through before he died..... that was 2002 and I've got 3 days is all!!! Oh well I gotta start somewhere and I've gotta get real with the man in the mirror. I hope this helps someone...It was good for me
0 Kudos
marjorie4

Hey Mr1957 I am doing it for my health and nothing else. I have no health problems YET but we all know that we cannot do this addictive behavior without problems. I love to smell, spring in the southeast is great. Hang in there. I am smoke free for 68 days.
0 Kudos