cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Anya

Huge waves of fatigue!

I'm on day 13 of my quit and have been fighting with huge waves of fatigue this week. I've been falling asleep on the sofa right after dinner  ,   go to bed early and still feel tired all day!! I am getting several walks in a day and eating well.  

I hope this is just my body healing and adjusting....but it is challenging to deal with this dull foggy mind and sluggish body. I had so much great energy during the first week! (It seems that I've had increasing fatigue and depression as the weeks/ months progress during previous quits).

Thanks for any advice or support:)

Anya

day 13

Tags (1)
28 Replies
elvan

Congratulations on day 18!  I am so proud of you...fatigue comes and goes...taking care of ourselves with a good diet and exercise...as well as trying to get sleep are really important.  I am feeling the usual Holiday stress but it will all pass too quickly.  All of the crazy preparations and all of the worrying about what to get for different people, the baking...it's all crazy but it's all over so quickly.  I love Christmas, I love my tree, I love giving to my kids and doing some baking for my doctors...I have too many of them to bake for ALL of them but I really love it when things come together and I realize that they HAVE come together and I can BREATHE.  My oldest daughter's birthday is the day after Christmas and my granddaughter's is on the 30th so it always seemed to go on longer for us than for others.  Now, they are in NY and I am in VA and I would LOVE to have those longer celebrations.

I am glad that you are feeling better, you are doing this, my friend, you really ARE!  Keep stacking the days and you will get stronger and stronger.

Best,

Ellen

How do you deal with the guilt of sleeping alot? I have severe fibromyalgia pain and am exhausted most days. The cigarettes picked me up. I am trying so hard not to pick one up. I am on day 2 and wanting so badly to quit, but  even with the patch I am anxious and irritated. Anyone else going through this? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 2 DAYS.  Your body goes through a lot of changes.  As far as being sleepy that is the norm.  The guilt depends if you are grossly neglecting other things.  You need to make sure that you are using the patches correctly.  You may be getting too much nicotine.  Follow the instructions according to how many cigarettes you use to smoke.. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hi there Brokerprincess‌  Anya hasn't logged onto the site in almost a month.  A great way to get answers to your questions is to put up a blog.  It's easy:  just click on the pencil icon (upper right), then on Write a Blog.  You'll get a lot of people chiming in with answers.  Take what helps and leave the rest.   I never used the patch, but there are many who have.  JonesCarpeDiem‌ has spoken a lot on that topic.  Irritation and anxiety are rather normal with this quitting experience.  It will ease up as the days progress.  The patch is simply an aid.  It helps take some of the edge off.  A positive attitude will help you a great deal on the journey.  And education will help get you that positive attitude.  So read as much as you can.  Cheers!

Anya

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't see your post. Cigarettes are such a false and toxic "pick me up", especially for fibromyalgia. Your body is really trying so very hard to heal. As hard as it is, try to give yourself permission to sleep and heal. Many folks with fibro struggle with sleep and exhaustion anyway, without cigarettes in the mix. Hopefully, your fibro pain may decrease as your no longer put cigarette chemicals into your body. 

Sending you wishes of healing and well being.

Anya

BTW, when I went through several years of fibro pain, a naturopath recommended taking cod liver oil (for omega 3 fatty acids, and magnesium malic acid - also called magnesium malate). Those did help.

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

I went through the same thing and LOVED IT, the more rest I got the better I felt. I knew that the fatigue was only temporary so I took total ADVANTAGE of it. Who goes to bed at 8:00 pm????? But every morning I woke up my skin looked so refreshed (others at work would comment how "different" I looked) and I am sure my huge smile from feeling so good and rested was a part of the "different" in my appearance. I took all the negative symptoms (as we detox from Nicotine ) and turned it around to a positive experience. The days are soon to come for you and any other Newbie when ALL normalcy will prevail ... I care

I started out with endless energy and then slipped into total exhaustion. Just as you are explaining. I think it is all part of the process. I had a good week of, could have slept around the clock, if my body would tolerate that much laying down. I also exercised and ate healthy. I went to bed early and this too passed.......I've always been a night owl but my Quit requires I sleep more hours at night. It is what is working the best for myself.  I stay very busy during the day and I truly am exhausted. Hubby doesn't know what to think, of us both going to bed at same time. He always went earlier and I was night owl. My chronic pain level has already improved so much, I just sleep better and I am more rested when I get up. I try to give my body what it is telling me it needs. This is forgein soil for a 45yr smoker..... One step at a time and listen to what your body needs.... A snack,exercise,fresh air,a project, nap, shower,hot bath, tv,a craft, a game, earlier meals,earlier bedtime... Whatever is working for you....Prairie 34 dof

Anya

That's so wonderful to hear that your pain is diminishing PRAIRIEROSELADY‌! I agree that it's so important to listen to your body (but ignore the cravings!)

I'm a firm believer that our bodies want to heal, and are pretty drarn good at it:)

Anya

0 Kudos

Now at 38 days  of freedom and going thru another round of fatigue, but the time change is always hard on me.

I've only been back 1 wk. from the southern TX where I spend the winter. I can't take the bitter cold of ND anymore.

My chronic pain from fibro.,arthritis and spinal,hip,back injuries continue to improve as the days pass. My BP is also improving.

My medications for injuries,fibro,arthritis.........I have greatly reduced in the past 5 1/2 wks. Despite it is still COLD in ND.

FATIGUE IS BACK but think it is part of stubbling into NO MAN'S LAND!!!! It found ME this week....I am trying to READ all I can about the major stretch in our Quit...Saw my health care today and they are very happy with all the progress....As well as all I accomplished this winter with my strength,toning,stretching and balance....Those senior years, sure crept up fast on me, while being a farm/ranchwife,midwife to animals,having and raised 2 children,building a business and life with hubby........A World very different from growing up in a military family.

Do let me know how you are doing??????????????

0 Kudos