cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jynx

How to leave go of an old friend?

Been smoking for over 40 years. I was ready to quit and sucessfully did so March 9th (cold turkey, no meds). It was difficult but I did so and stayed off the cigs for 2 week. Then out of nowhere one night, no excuses, I felt I "HAD" to have one, and like a crack addict, I searched through waste baskets in my garage to find butts I could still light up to take a hit or two. So embarrassing while I was doing so, but I did, shaking my head in disbelief.

I can go for hours without a strong urge to smoke, then out of no where I start feeling tense, my chest gets tight, and it becomes overwhelming... all I can think of is getting a cigarette and taking just a puff or two.

I know I'm  past the addiction period, and realize it's a mental thing. For me it's like loosing a long-time friend, crazy as it sounds. As much as I want to quit, I can't imagine not smoking for the rest of my life. It feels as if smoking is a part of my life and it's so hard not to have it there. I look at my friends who don't smoke and envy them for never thinking about smoking.

I want to be a non-smoker... not a smoker who quit and misses it everyday!

How long does that take to sink in??????????

0 Kudos
22 Replies
dman10

well im new and sure i dont know what to do i have 3 packs left so will be qiting sunday or monday and scared as hell ive been smoking 35 yrs and have never tried to stop but a recent scare with my heart says i have to and cant afford to buy em anymore since ive just lost my job worst possable time to stop but have no choice other then locking myself in a closet anyone have any ideas for me?

0 Kudos

When you educate yourself about Addiction and learn to change your PERSPECTIVE then you are on the way to SUCCESS!!! You CAN QUIT! Come to the BLOGS and find out more!!!! That's where we hang out, folks!

0 Kudos
ashley72

I am afraid some of the comments in some blogs sounds Greek to me:(

It's my third day of no-smoking. I spend a lot of time on sites like this one. I kept my fingers busy typing since morning so that they wont reach for a pack of cigarettes:)

I will quit smoking soon. But by then I will be addicted to the internet....lolz

It's okay. Isn't it? I can use my time to help some1 quit:)

That's a nice I idea. OK. I am in!!

0 Kudos