cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Christy2026

How to even begin and get through the first day

I want to quit...I need to quit... Yet and still I plan to quit then wake up that morning and think of all the completely illogical reasons why I want to KEEP smoking.....and then I give in.  I feel completely powerless over this behavior...but deep down I know I'm not powerless at all and it's up to me to commit and make the change.  Can anyone tell me how they finally followed through on the first day, couple days, week?  

39 Replies
Wantingacig57

AMEN AND HALLELUJAH !!  Thank You gregp136 !!  Thank You to ALL OF MY NEW FRIENDS whom have Been with Me and Shall continue to BE WITH US NEWBIES !!! 

I am HAPPY TO SAY THAT I AM ON MY 

"DAY ONE" !!! Going to Bed to Dream about ALL OF THE SUCCESSFUL HAPPINESS OF QUITING THIS DISGUSTING HABIT/ADDICTION !! 

See you all SOON

0 Kudos
Wantingacig57

EXCELLENT ADVICE Thank You so Very Much, my Friend Greg !!!

-

gregp136 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

gregp136 mentioned you in in BecomeAnEX.

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email, or to view gregp136's reference to you, visit: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/91963-re-how-to-even-begin-and-get-through-the-first-day?commentID=91963&et=notification.mention#comment-91963

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user or you were invited to join by a current user.

You may unsubscribe instantly at https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/unsubscribe.jspa?email=jheidamos%40cfl.rr.com&token=8bac3edd83c0a8d625c9fff892fcc3c20757f2fb5c725c5286a5ad2a9ac34854, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences (https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/user-preferences!input.jspa).

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

After you have done some reading to understand your addiction, you will understand that what you THINK smoking does for you is all a lie.  All it actually does is relieve the stress it has CREATED!  The night before (if you quit in the AM, you must get rid of all cigarettes in your possession the night before...keeping them around is giving yourself permission to smoke.  You CAN do this - read on to better understand how!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Christy2026

Thank you so much!!!  So much good advice.  Im feeling a bit stronger about this the more I read.  I will definitely read the link you sent!  

elvan

Christy2026‌ Education is a huge key to a successful quit, you also need to commit to yourself and just don't smoke!  Please keep in mind that smoking does nothing FOR you but it does a great deal TO you.  Education, commitment, and support will get you through.  This is an addiction and quitting is a journey...it's not an event.  

You CAN do this, Christy,  Think of all of the reasons why you want to be quit and then think of all of the bad things that happen to people because of smoking.

Stay close to the site...come here in the morning and pledge and hop on the train and get your dose of encouragement from the very beginning of the day!

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

NewMe

Welcome, Christy. I think most everything I was going to recommend is included in Nancy's comment above. Education is the key factor in the beginning. I found a lot on whyquit.com to be extremely helpful, particularly Nicotine Addiction 101, and The Journey Home (it's been a long time since I accessed this information, and with a poor memory I hope I am pointing you in the right direction. Next, as you will read in Allen Carr's book, an enormous amount of willpower more than likely will NOT be what you need to get through the early days. But if you can look up any blogs concerning the term "quititude", you will find some EXtremely valuable information that will help you along the journey. If you take the attitude "poor me, this is more difficult than quitting heroin, I don't think I am strong enough to fight the urges, etc.", then you just might create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Attitude is so very important and can make or break a quit. I think it took me a long time to understand the attitude part, and I struggled a lot in the beginning. Heed the advice you get here, and you will find the tools necessary to quit and stay quit.

Wantingacig57

Great ADVICE that I, also, find very Valuable !! Thank You from Me, wantingacig57 !!! Tomorrow IS MY QUIT DAY, no matter what may "Try To" stand in the way !!!! Thanx for your Share!

-

NewMe <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

NewMe replied to the discussion

"Re: How to even begin and get through the first day"

To view the discussion, visit: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/91982-re-how-to-even-begin-and-get-through-the-first-day?commentID=91982&et=watches.email.thread#comment-91982

>

0 Kudos

Remember to keep us all up-to-date on your progress.  Staying mentally tuned into your 'quit' helps you work through addiction's insidious whispers.  Blogging, messaging, cheering others on helps you stay mentally tuned into your 'quit'.  Cheering you on, and strengthening my quit too.  You'll do it!

Wantingacig57

Thank You sooo Much for Your Encouragement !! Looking forward to Overcoming This Monkey on My Back!!

I can't Stand the Taste of these DISGUSTING CIGS !!! NOR THE SMELL IN MY HOME !!

I'm having to clean the TAR OFF MY WALLS, MINI BLINDS ARE GARBAGE, etc... Grossed Out, Indeed !!! Disgusted talking about it

Sweet Dreams as Tommorow is another Day the Lord God Almighty will have Created to BE SMOKE-FREE !!! HALLELUJAH

0 Kudos
Christy2026

Good luck tomorrow and I hope you enjoy your first day of freedom Wantingacig57!!!