cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Samanthadoom

How to deal with my mind telling me I need nicotine when I want to quit?

I really want to quit using nicotine. Whenever I try to, I get overwhelmed by so many insecurities that lead me back to using nicotine again. I am genuinely a secure person Yet whenever I try to stop using nicotine I get really insecure thoughts in my head. Any advice from an ex smoker to deal with this aspect of quitting? 

19 Replies
indingrl

YOU WANT TO QUIT - YOU will - yahooooooo - CONGRATS and WAY TO GO!

Samanthadoom

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone

indingrl

You are most welcome - blog blog blog - BEFORE - you take one PUFF- gentle hug❤ 

0 Kudos
TriGirl

Anxiety was my #1 reason NOT to quit for a long time. But I am finding I was wrong for thinking I would "lose it"!!! It was seriously the nicotine warping my mind. I am getting better and better at stopping negative thoughts and realizing that I am way more powerful than I thought. You can't change feelings, but you can change how you behave as a result of them. Smoking never once solved a problem I had. I am finding it stopped me from making decisions that could have improved my situations/relationships rather than just give me "time out" from them.

You can't rush this though. Just trust that it's true. For now, do what all these wise people above me said. Right now, it's one moment at a time. Find LOTS of things to distract you. I'll be here when u need, too!

Kelly

Samanthadoom

Thank you Kelly! That is so good to know! That is, my fear of the anxious thoughts that come from quitting really can be tackled and will eventually go away once I do quit. Wise wise words. I so relate to using nicotine as my “time out” when I could just be dealing with things head one. I can and will do this! Thank you so much for your support!

Best,

Samantha

Sent from my iPhone

TriGirl

U got this

Giulia

Have you ever checked out The Artist's Way?  Think it might be right up your alley.

Thanks for turning us on to R.A.I.N and Live Awake.  Just spent some time looking into them.  GREAT stuff!

I find it surprising and puzzling that with your meditation and study of RAIN that you would have trouble quitting JUUL.  You're already two steps ahead of the next newbie in that you already understand the steps necessary to change thinking.  And that's really what eliminating addiction is  all about - changing thinking.  Although in the case of cravings I would use the R as a doubled edged sword:  Recognize then Refocus.  And too with the A I wold say Allow and Accept, add Investigate with Intention and Navigate with NOPE.  

Hope to see your username change from Samanthadoom to Samanthabloom.

Samanthadoom

Aw, I love that! Samantha Bloom! Thanks for the great advice and thank you for checking out R.A.I.N. And Sarah Blondin’s Live Awake podcast. That means a lot you took the time to review what I am using and apply ways I can use my own methods towards my quit. I so appreciate your encouragement! 10 more days and I am becoming an ex nicotine user!!! Whoop whoop! 

Giulia

I think checking out others' links and suggestions is how one becomes, not only a successful quitter, but a better, more educated, well-rounded, wise person.  Curiosity and openmindedness is how we grow and progress on our life's journey.  Because of what you posted, I can now apply new ways to MY methods of "getting over myself!"  lol  

Samanthadoom

Thank you!!! I appreciate you!! Agreed! 

Sending love and sunshine ❤️

0 Kudos