cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karthik

How to control the trigger.. to control the urge for 'jus this once'!!!!

Atlast, after all the fights, I was able to bring it down to 3-4 a day... Phew..

But now, to go complete EX, seems too tuf!!

The first one in the mornin looks impossible to avoid.. I dunno wat to do..

I've tried everything.. Throw away the ash tray, buy a pack and have one and destroy the pack, slapped myself.. everything!!

Jus cant control the 'jus this once' urge!!! 

Need advice.. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
linder2

Hey Karthik. I am not going to lie to you. It ain't easy, but it can be done. My 1st smoke of the day was always my favorite it seems. I got rid of all my reminders.. ashtrays, lighters and all my cigarettes. The night before my quit day I put on a nrt patch and I haven't smoked yet. I know it's only been 8 days of being an Ex but its my 8 days and I am so very proud of myself! The other times I have quit I used the just  bum just one to get me through, then I'd bum another cause I felt guilty for smoking the one, then I would buy a pack because I didn't want to bum another sense they cost so much now, then I would smoke the whole pack cause I didn't want to "waste" the money I paid for the, then I would HAVE to but a carton cause it was cheaper to buy that way, and so on and so on and so on. You get my point. This time I figured out there will always be an excuse to have just one or start again but there is no excuse that would be worth my giving up on myself again and starting back. I quit for me and I am going to stay quit for me. I get urges, strong urges still but I know in my heart they will only last about 5 minutes. I can make it through 5 minutes of cravings. There are 288 "5" minute slots in a day So there are a lot of 5 minute slots I am not craving and I can handle that. Stay strong, search deep inside yourself and really discover why you want to quit and hold onto that reason with all your heart and all your passion and you will make it!! Blessings~Linda

0 Kudos
cathi4

It is a bitch but you have to want to and that resolve along with some good stop prep is your ticket out of being a sad, sad addict! Three things helped me and resolve or willpower was only one. Knowledge, check out www.whyquit.com. Then support, get a quit partner to help you stay strong on this website.

You are simply giving it to much power and by building in all that mental wall you are psyching yourself out! There is such a thing as too much anticipation and not enough preparation. It is hard but after all the nashing of teeth and tearing of hair it is not the hardest thing you will ever do. You can do this. You deserve this. I can keep reminding you until you decide to stop killing yourself but you gotta believe! If I can do this anyone can! That I know and I have 3 months cold turkey and the best place ever as an ex smoker. Hope to read quit blog from you!

0 Kudos
molzep

Just this one? Was one ever enough?

Wasn't for me. I wanted all of them. 20 a day, 365 days a year. I'm an all or nothing person - and most addicts are.

Get through the first few days, then it gets easier. (not easy for a while, but easier!)

I'm almost at 4 months and it's really easy.  Occasionally the thought of a cigarette enters my head and hangs out for a second or two - then it's gone.

Just don't smoke today -that's it, just today.

0 Kudos
williewookie

i think I may be a mean ticking time bomb. I have discovered a very unpleasant me and do not wish to take it out on anyone. I wish there were a deserted island that had no cigarettes. I feel like all I am doing is complaining about how I feel. My children are due home soon and I hope that I have the discipline to not be a monster mom. Does anyone feel angry while quitting? I realize right now that I have to re-invent myself and due to the fact that today is my first day I did not realize the gravity of the decision of what I have done. I wish I had really thought this out a bit more. I am determined to not smoke and I am a stubborn person. I am also taking chantix. Armed with as many facts as possible, I will do everything I can to get this done. I don't want to be a smoker any longer. I  hate it. Hate the smell, hate the looks, the money defecit, and for being a hypocrite. Telling the kids its bad and then buying and smoking a pack

0 Kudos
bob-w2

OK I just started this I smoked for 20 years then quit for 5 started again 4 years ago what dumb ass thought I could just have one. First time I used Zybin and it seamed to work Going to go to doctor next Friday and get Rx. What really kills me is that first one in the Morning and stress. I do remember how great it felt to be smoke free and I want that again. But honestlly it does feel good to smoke cailms me down relaxes me like a small time out . I do not  smoke around kids or wife but they know I do. Last time I quite I did it by myself hope to have wife help this time she never has smoked I want her to log on to this site is there any advice that you can give her to help?

0 Kudos
blm2

KARTHIK, THAT MORNING COFFEE AND SMOKE WAS MY RAINBOW IN MY DAY..CHANGE YOUR MORNING ROUTINE IF YOU CAN. THAT'S HOW I DID IT. I GOT UP A LITTLE LATER SO THAT I WAS RUSHING AROUND THE HOUSE NO TIME TO SMOKE. JUST GET READY AND LEAVE. AFTER 2 DAYS I WAS FINE. I WAS ASTONISHED THAT I COULD ELIMINATE THAT TRIGGER. I'VE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR 9 LOOOONG DAYS. LET ME TELL YOU, THAT MORNING SMOKE IS NOTHING COMPARED TO ANGER MANAGEMENT. I THINK THIS IS THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE YET IN MY SMOKING. MORNING SMOKE, AFTER MEALS, AFTER SEX, ALL THOSE ARE EASY COMPARED TO STRESS..I STILL HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO DEAL WITH STRESS. WELL I HAVE..BUT I MEAN SOMETHING OTHER THAN RIPPING EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE A NEW A**HOLE..HAHA!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
karthik

Alas.. I was able to cut down the routine cigs.. I think its better to go reducing and then quitting than going cold turkey!!

Lets say, i reduce to 3 a day for some 2 weeks.. and then quit.. Incase, i smoke again, i'm going to go to 3 a day and not the pack!!! Its kinda workin..

Wats ur opinion on this?!?!?

And Willie!! Dont start me on the frustration during the first few days!!! I went mad the last time i tried!! I was a real mean fuckface!! Trust me.. My girlfriend almost left me!! It was kinda catch22.. She wanted me to quit, but wen trying to quit, i was a fuckface at work, with my GF, at home.. at the neighbour, at the grocery store!! man!! But it goes down.. try taking bath.. But don try slapping urself.. U'll nvr stop Lolz...

0 Kudos