cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

How many times have you tried quitting in the past?

Jump to solution

Most of us have had several attempts at quitting.  I'm convinced that the reason this quit has lasted is because of support and education.  What do you think? 

19 Replies
vanlil

I   quit a lot of times...............the longest for a year and a half..............I was not a happy camper during that time. I then developed colitis which I truly felt was brought on by not having the "relaxing " time having a cigarette.  I told the Dr. who wanted to give me steroids to heal the colitis and I said "Heck no - I will start smoking again. He pleaded with me but NO WAY would I listen.  So 6 months later I called the Dr. for the Prescription and told him that the cigarettes didn't work. Now that was 13 yrs. ago..............

Today 222 days of not smoking and no big problems with the colitis this time.

Lillian

Sootie

It depends on how we want to describe a quit. It is my opinion that most people who are smoking over 5 years....really, really want to quit. So they "try to quit".........A Lot!!!! I know that I would often (100 times?? 200 times??) wake up in the morning and say-----I'm not going to smoke....any more. I'd make it an hour? a half day? sometimes maybe 3 days....then.....fail. I don't (in my mind) count them as quits. I quit once before this for 13 years......yes I am actually that dumb that I started smoking again. thi si my forever quit. And I believe that the support from this site AND the education I gave myself this time to know that I was not "losing" anything......I was not a martyr "giving up" something. I have found freedom and gained so much. This time is it. good question G

Giulia
I quit once before this for 13 years......yes I am actually that dumb that I started smoking again.

Not dumb, just unaware of the potency of this addiction. "Attention must be paid" (Death of a Salesman quote)

I know that I would often (100 times?? 200 times??) wake up in the morning and say-----I'm not going to smoke....any more. I'd make it an hour? a half day? sometimes maybe 3 days....then.....fail. I know that I would often (100 times?? 200 times??) wake up in the morning and say-----I'm not going to smoke....any more. I'd make it an hour? a half day? sometimes maybe 3 days....then.....fail.

Is there a one of us who hasn't 'been there, done that' thinking.  Wake up in the morning saying, "I'm not gonna smoke any more."  And we lasted, what?  a couple of hours?  Quitting takes preparation and dedication and focus.  And most importantly- education and support.  When you "get it" you can't ever go back to your old smoking self.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

I sent you a pm

0 Kudos
vanlil

Hi Terri

Any update on Sharon after her surgery?  Lillian

0 Kudos
Jenn_06-03-14

I have quit SO many times in the past that I can't even count!  I would say that I have tried to quit over 10 times!  This is the longest that I have been quit!  ( Almost 3 years! ) It is also the last time!  I will never smoke again!  N.O.P.E.!  

0 Kudos
elvan

I lost track a very long time ago.  I quit over and over again and every time I went back to smoking, I fell diminished and disappointed in myself.  The difference this time was and is the support and the education.

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I remember flushing a pack when I was 17.  The next morning I was buying another pack.  Over the next 50 years I tried everything.  Multiple seminars for hypnotism,  I read some really good quit smoking books over the years.  I bought every new thing they were selling to help me quit. Then when NRT's came out I tried them.  I had a physician that I was seeing weekly for a while.  Nothing worked for me until I found this site and used NRT"s along with the wonderful support I received here.  It is now over 3 years since I quit.  I know I will never smoke again.  Someone on this site said, this site is like getting  brain washed.  I do believe that is true.  I couldn't be more grateful.

MarilynH

I quit at least 6 times in the past and I know now that those quits were only halfhearted or at least one of them would've stuck and alcohol was the instigator a couple of times and I'm sure that at least 20 yrs passed when because of mild copd I decided it was time to quit so I found this site and all of you and I read everything that I could find here and educated myself on quitting for the last time so I definitely credit this ex community full of wonderful caring people for my 928 precious DOF,great post. Giulia

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I would probably honestly have to say I don't know.

More times than I remember.

but I will say this. When I started here in 2008 reading alot of material and educated myself on this horrible habit....I still had messed up and smoked a few times, even with all the. Loving support Igot in here. 

I had not APPLIED it to my actions yet, therefore I continued to fail.

once it became crystal clear and I started truly WORKING on what I learned daily. I became successful

Nice post G

0 Kudos