cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DagnyQ

How long does it take to stop dreaming about smoking

It seems almost every night I am dreaming about smoking. I am in my 7th week. Is this going to go on forever? Because I'm 71, don't have much longer to go anyway, and am wondering if this is worth it.

15 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I always woke up thanking God it was ONLY A DREAM.  Yay for freedom. Smokemares is what we call them.  I think I have had one or two in my 4.5-year journey.  They seem so real Wow!  I hope yours go away soon.  Congrats on 7 weeks of freedom.  Whoo Hoo celebrate. 

Barb102

I agree with Jackie I’m always grateful it was a dream. I still get them but not as often at all. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Dreams are just that, dreams and we really cannot control them but we can control our reaction to them.  Are you using any nicotine replacement?  I did not and I certainly would not recommend that you start now if you haven't, I am just wondering if you are using something that is keeping the nicotine receptors going.  I think we all have to take this journey one day at a time and JonesCarpeDiem‌ had a really good point recently when he asked if you want to be thinking about smoking when you are drawing your last breath...whenever that might be, my answer is a resounding NO.  It DOES get easier, maybe you are experiencing some NML challenges...https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...   Hang in there and remember you are still quit, the dreams are just dreams.

Ellen

LanaKay

Yesterday was my three year anniversary of being smoke free. I still dream about it but I am always looking for a lighter or an ashtray or cigarettes or a Diet Coke. I never find everything I need at the same time!  I guess I don’t mind the dreams. I’m not actually doing it!  I’m 72 and smoked about 45 years. 

0 Kudos
Beck37

Ive had the dreams and they are just so real. I feel so guilty and disappointed in myself. In the dreams I am hoping that I’m dreaming, only to find out I’m not.... and then I wake up. Crazy

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Smoking invades my dreams more often than I'd like to admit. Once or twice, I smoked; most times, I do not smoke. The temptation to smoke shows up a lot. It's something we can't control, but we can wake up and go "whew, that was just a dream!"

Donna

Day 161 (23ish weeks)