cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

connielm63

How does mayo clinic help me

Help please I need to quit smoking! C.O.P.D and other medical problems I need patches I can't afford them. The cigarettes I don't buy because my husband has cartons stacked in closent. He passed away Nov 25th. He had lung cancer I don't want to be next. 

Tags (1)
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your husband.  I know the holiday season is going to be a sad one for you - but perhaps you can honor his memory best by quitting smoking.  I just know he would be pleased you are doing that. 

The first thing you need to do before you quit is get rid of all those cartons of cigarettes.  I know it seems a shame to waste all the money spent, but keeping them around is just giving yourself permission to smoke them.  You should check with your County or State Health Department or call 1-800-Quit-Now for free patches.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Hello there and welcome! When I quit, I got free patches from the Quitline in Colorado, and I believe every state has their own quit lines. Perhaps do a search for it online for your state. That was how I started. Also, I'd check out all the links above. Learning addiction is incredibly important to be successful.

We have a group here for those who were diagnosed with COPD and there's wealth of information on that there. Also since you have COPD you should place a post in the COPD group. Thomas3.20.2010‌ is kind of our resident expert on the subject and is more than happy to answer questions. Stay close and please let us know how you're doing! 

I look forward to hearing of your future success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

My Condolences on the loss of your husband. Please check out COPD‌ and read the suggestions that Nancy made. I really does help! Hopefully you'll be doing a soakfest with those cartons of Sickerettes. All they're doing is stealing away your life in breadth and depth.  We're here to support your Quit Journey and there's absolutely nothing any med can do if you keep smoking. Take good care!

I'm sorry for your loss.

I bet those cartons are growing stale. What a goldmine treasure waste of breath..

Stale cigarettes kill,

the same as fresh,

but they taste like crap

as they steal your breath.

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Barbscloud

Sorry for you loss.   Someone already stated you can get free patches.   It's the community of people on this site that can help you by giving you their continued support.  Take the first step and get rid of that infinite supply of cigarettes.  I know I couldn't have around.  We're here for you if you need help, just reach out.

Barb

279 DOF

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

connielm63 Sorry to hear of the passing of your husband.  You've gotten some great advice here from the members who have responded before me.

Mayo provided a lot of the materials found in the My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX . It is based on their in-patient treatment program.

Too bad their isn't a way you can turn in cigarettes and get back patches or one of the other nicotine replacement options to help people quit.  I would agree the second best thing is to destroy them as YoungAtHeart‌ suggested. Finally, the least desirable option. Since your husband had stock-piled them I assume it might be difficult to get rid of them in which some people would be inclined to sell them and then use the proceeds to purchase the needed patches.  

I'm glad you made it to the site.  This is a wonderful place filled with amazing people with experience in quitting. Your quit journey is here!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Daniela2016

I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband.  Like Nancy said, you may honor him by quitting smoking.

As for the cartons left behind him, I'd look at them this way: if I smoke them, I'll get to meet my husband sooner, but not before I get through the same suffering he did, if I try to sell them, I am just encouraging someone else's addiction, and honestly, I would not do that, I am sure you would not do it either; If I start my quit with the temptation right under my nose all the time, chances are my quit will be very difficult if not impossible.

If you are serious about quitting, please get rid of anything reminding you about smoking, most of all the cigarettes in your house.  Then please, please learn what this addiction is about, you've got plenty of materials in the comments above, and come here and blog, talk to us, we are more than happy to help!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

My condolences on the loss of your husband.

Ex offers social support for all quitters and especially newcomers. So welcome to the Ex community! It's here 365, 24/7. 

Before you find patches, before you set a quit date, please take time to make a quit plan (go to the upper right hand corner of Ex Home page, click on MY QUIT PLAN

Quitting is personal--and while patches can help, being in a crowd of quitters who understand what you are going through can take the edge off quitting. Please make the effort to participate (read and learn) here.

Mary

Mandolinrain

Well first of all the Mayo Clinic site has a wealth of information in regard to help you with ALL your medical conditions if you take time to research the site. It also has us, this community to help support you in your journey to quit smoking.

Vey sorry about the loss of your husband. That had to be horrific for you and watch him suffer. Please know we ARE here for you. Please DO take the time to follow through with the above suggestions. The more information you have the better and smoother your quit journey wi progress.

Wishing you the best of comfort during this difficult time and welcome to the family of EX

0 Kudos