cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mason

How did you become an EX?

I am 25 and have been smoking for about 8 years. I am really beginning to get into running and duathlons, so there is nothing more that I would like than to quit smoking. I really don't want to take prescription drugs, but I was wondering what some other effective aids out there are? Thanks so much, can't wait to quit.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ted-hoffman

I was encouraged to join by a very lovely young lady. I have been off all forms of tobacco for almost 24 years. If it's okay with you fine folks, I'll share my story.

What worked for me may not work for everyone. This was in the day before nicotine patches, and things of that nature. Those who wanted to quit were pretty much on their own.

I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker, I had been a smoker since the age of 16. In 1985, at the age of 28, I needed to quit. The first problem was our kids. My wife was (and still is) a smoker, and with all of us and our smoking friends, a blue layer of smoke haze would form in our house. The kids were always having respiratory problems. I knew I had to quit for their sake. Going outside for a smoke wasn't really an option in the dead of winter in Michigan.

I had also started taking classes at the local community college. One of my classes was in a third floor classroom, and climbing the stairs was giving me chest pains.

The final straw came when my youngest son started having trouble breathing. We got him into the hospital, to find out he was having asthma attacks. The poor little guy was only about a year old. He was in the hospital, in an oxygen tent. I stayed by his side the whole time. Obviously, I couldn't smoke.

Ironically, his first day in the hospital was in November, the "Great American Smoke Out Day." I thought to myself, "Someone is trying to tell me something!" He was in the hospital for the whole weekend, and I didn't have one cigarette. When he got out, I made it a vow that I wouldn't smoke anymore.

Here's how I did it. Keep in mind, this method may not work for everyone. It's not easy, but it did work.

I bought a pack of Hall's cough drops. Every time I needed a cigarette, I had a Hall's instead. Unlike gum, those cough drops aren't "yummy," and they actually last almost as long as a cigarette. Even though I was not a menthol smoker, the menthol helped.

Here's the other secret... I took a retractable ball point pen, took it apart, took the ink container out, and used the hollow end of the casing for a "cigarette." I held it between my index and middle fingers like a cigarette, and puffed on it as needed. Sure, it looked stupid, but it really satisfied that fixation smokers develop between their fingers and their mouths. And, after a few weeks of being off the cigarettes, I was able to put it down.

Whatever you do, don't take up Skoal to try and quit. You'll quit cigarettes, but you'll be addicted to Skoal. Yeah, you'll eat a lot of Hall's cough drops, but, you won't be smoking, and eventually you'll be able to wean yourself off of those as well.

Good luck, all!
0 Kudos
rj_

Hi, I did cold turkey, check this PDF for good explaination of the science behind nicotine addiction and tips etc...
also check out my blog title the real cost of a 32+yr addiction for some real eye opening numbers on cost etc...

Regards, RJ - Free and Healing for Two Years, Eleven Days, 8 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 103 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29695 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,123.93.
0 Kudos
nancy23

I quit about 6 or 7 times with the patch and or lozenges. I lasted one to 3 months each time. But....I was always longing, craving for a cigarette. I think the patch helped me to start to quit smoking but it tormented me by never letting me get over the nicotine craving. It did so by always keeping some nicotine in my system.
I now consider my self a non-smoker, not someone trying to quit. I did it by going cold turkey! I never thought I could do that, but it was so much easier than using the patch. The nicotine is out of your system in 2 to 3 days...just drink lots of water to flush it out. I kept busy for a few weeks, and that was it. I'd smoked for over 30 years. Don't know what will work for you, just try your best and remember it may take more than one attempt to achieve your goal. Good luck. You can do it!
0 Kudos