cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

debbie11

How Long Before Your Considered An Ex-Smoker ??

I count the hours, days, minutes since my last cigarette. It's been 3 weeks, 5 days and 23 hrs. When can I start calling myself an ex-smoker. Is there a time frame?
To me that first day I didn't smoke, I considered myself an ex-smoker. I gave a friend a ride the other day and she lit a cigarette in my car. I politely told her I didn't smoke anymore. She apologized and threw it out. Another friend ask me at work to go out to smoke with her. I declined the invitation and told her I didn't smoke anymore. All this seems strange because you are still friends with smokers but you can no longer associate with them at the "ole smoke hole". Just my thoughts on the subject.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
elizabeth17

They moment we all decided to better the quality of our lives by breaking this fatal habit is the moment when we all earned
the right to call ourselves non-smokers! Almost a month!?!?! You are amazing!
0 Kudos
debbie11

Thanks for the boost. I am still very excited about being an ex-smoker. I try to think of scenios that might happen and how to handle it if it occurs. It seems to work. I got adjusted to all the triggers( in the car, after meals, before bed, after sex, first thing in the morning, etc) and low and behold a new one appears. Springtime.....We always sit out on the porch or in the yard when the kids or friends come over and of course we would smoke, drink coffee and chat. I'm getting used to that one already and I know of at least 1 more to come.....pool time but I'm ready and have my guard up. Good Luck to all. 3 weeks, 6 days
0 Kudos
bethany

I don't consider myself a smoker or a non smoker I am an addict, I will always be an addict, There will never be a day in my life where I can say I will never want one again, I am a stress smoker, it would be like saying I will never have another stressful day in my life, I would be lying to myself. But I know this all sounds discourging but it is just the opposite calling myself an addict gives me hope, it seperates the stress from smoking it allows me to never be comfortable with my triggers no matter how much easier they seem. I know it will work for me this time. and I believe it will work for you too. congrats on 3 weeks, and 6 days, You can do it!!!
0 Kudos
diana11

Thats funny you say that, we have what we call a smoke hut it looks like where you wait for a bus. I loved going out there catching up with ppl who you dont work with directly. Now i dont go out there at all. So i just wait til i see them in the hall and say a quick hello. When i feel better about it i may go out there in the nice weather.
0 Kudos