cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jmtz546

Hight Stress Jobs and Quitting?

I have decided to quit on April 9.  I am just introducing myself and seeing who is out there.  I am working on my profile with what little free time I have.  The biggest question I have now is to those with high stress jobs.  Are there any suggestions you may have?  I love my work but it goes 7 days a week, damn long hours and extreme stress.  I await replies and yes, I am working hard on this.  I am trying to make up my mind to overcome this crutch I've had for years but am always open to suggestions.

M

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Giulia

Find ways to relieve the stress other than smoking.  That takes a certain amount of discovery work.  Change your focus by getting up, walking around, deep breathing, getting a drink of water, playing a quick computer game, calling a friend, studying relaxation techniques, a 5 minute meditation, Greek worry beads... -  experimenting with your own creativity - discovering through trial and error what works and what doesn't.  Stress is a part of life and it's not going to go away.  But there are many, many ways of dealing with stress other than putting a cigarette in your mouth.  It's up to you to discover what that may be for you.  That's part of the fun of this process.  Discovery.  Stick around!

0 Kudos
AutumnWoman

Good for you for realizing that there's never going to be a "good time to quit smoking.  And don't believe the myth that smoking is a stress- reducer; actually it increases your stress,  I am the parent of an adult on the autism spectrum.  Family caregiving can be a source of chronic stress.  Some things I've done to help me deal:  exercise (anything from walking to yoga to strenuous workouts in the gym); music (listening to it and playing); turning off the TV, and limiting my news watching; cutting out the junk food and fast food.  The suggestions Giulia gave you are also excellent.  I would also suggest that you try to recall times in your life when you did not smoke and you got through a difficult situation.  You may have to reach back to your childhood to find them, but you most likely have done it.

0 Kudos
anand4

I have tried it many times butwithuot success. but i wil not give up trying until i get success.

0 Kudos