cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

looneylacy

Hi new on here.

I wanna quit so bad any pointers? I am shooting for the end of this week!
0 Kudos
18 Replies
barbara42

HI LOONEYLACY,
START WITH THE EXE PLAN AND GET YOUR SELF A QUIT KIT (VEG,S, HARD CANDY, ANY THING YOU WILL NEED TO FIGHT THE CRAVINGS) THE FIRST WEEK IS HARD, WATCH FOR THE CRAVINGS AND FIGHT THEM. AFTER THAT YOU STILL HAVE CRAVES BUT THEY ARE NOT SO BAD. COME OFTEN TO THIS SITE BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED PLENTY OF SUPPORT AND THIS IS THE PLACE TO GET IT. GOOD LUCK, I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS AND JUST HOLLER WHEN YOU NEED US, WE WILL BE HERE PEACE!
0 Kudos
edith2

Each person has a different story about how they quit, so I suggest you read a few stories from the members. Take what you like and leave the rest. This is your quit and you'll soon find out what does and doesn't work for you. I suggest that you go into this with rigorous honesty because the excuses to light up will hit you like a ton of bricks. Every time you get through a craving to smoke, the craving will get weaker the next time and you'll get stronger. I will not lie to you........quitting is hard, but the hard part is temporary. You have the right to express your opinion and set your boundaries. Don't worry what others will think about your quest to be smoke-free.
0 Kudos
mike-v

Hello and welcome. i am also new to all this and 5th time attempt. I hope to succeed this time. Here's a hint, if you feel like you're going to die, you probably aren't. I'm trying so hard and just keep talking to myself while at work. Also if I have a really strong urge, I'll pick up a new habit like walking around while tearing up paper. Weird but it seems to be working..... Good Luck
0 Kudos
looneylacy

thank you
0 Kudos
nicole8

Hi,

Some people say to use NRT while others say go cold turkey. It takes about 72 hours for nicotine to get out of your system. Usually around 48 hours is when I feel my withdrawal peak in intesity and I get dizzy, alittle depressed and my perception of time is way off. But it goes away completely after the 3 days, and sometimes sooner. I've quit a couple of other times in the past 5 years and I find that cold turkey is the best for me. I've tried NRT and it seemed to drag out my withdrawals making me feel crummy for weeks instead of a few days. But to each their own. It is quite an amazing feeling about that 3rd day of being nicotine free. It's like a cloud lifts and you feel free.

Pick a day to quit. I find it best if you smoke your last one the night before and get rid of ALL smokes. Have gum, juice, and don't try and throw off your normal schedule too much. Don't overwhelm yourself with thinking about NEVER smoking again. Take it one hour at a time, then one day at a time. It doesn't take superhuman powers to quit smoking, it's the staying quit that is tough.
You can do this!!!
0 Kudos
polly2

welcome LooneyLacy!! Have you done the ex plan yet? That is a great place to start! If not, I suggest you start working it right away -- it will help you to identify the reasons you smoke, how much you smoke and how to distract yourself from smoking. When you do quit, cinnamon sticks are awesome to suck on and inhale -- they give a nice cinnamon blast at the back of your throat! Also, our blood sugar tends to drop when we stop smoking. For that reason it is good to drink lots of juice for the first 3 days. Keeping positive is a huge part of this! This is very much a mental addiction too. If we allow our minds to think too much about not smoking the nicodemon can creep in and make it all that much worse for you. Arm yourself with thoughts such as, "Smoking is not an option," "Cravings won't kill me but smoking will," "There is no such thing as one cigarette for me," "I am a happy, healthy, confident non-smoker," "NO=not one" and "NOPE = Not One Puff Ever." A web site that deals with a lot of the mental addiction that you might want to look at is www.quitsmokingonline.com . It will give you a whole different perspective on how to deal with smoking and craves!! It's an easy read as well! Finally, when you do quit, drop us a post here -- we will be here to support you! Way to go on your decision to quit smoking!! We'll see your real soon as an EX!!!
0 Kudos
looneylacy

Wow thank you all for replying I am working the ex plan and tracking my cigs and have found my biggest trigger life! O.k. that was just a joke trying to be light hearted here I feel like I am losing a piece of myself is that just crazyness or what? I choose a date the 20th why drag my feet! o yes still trying to decide if I will take anything for the craves!
0 Kudos
barbara42

WE ARE WITH YOU JUST HANG TIGHT FOR THE FIGHT FOR LIFE, WE WILL WIN PEACE!
0 Kudos
zeke

I started by doing the Ex Plan. I am the type person who usually thinks i do not need to read the directions because i can figure it out or yell for help. However, this was one time I am glad I did read a bit on how to change my habits that were bonded with smoking. And as far as yelling for help there are plenty of people here for just that!
0 Kudos