cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Renee20

Hi fellow closet "hangers" :)

Well, I've done a lot of thinking and I have finally decided on my quit date. July 9. Since we all smoke when no one is around and I'm alone most of the time, this is going to be the ultimate challenge for me. This quitting thing has to be so much more difficult for us, since we can't look for help from our family and close friends, right? So luckily we have this place to come for help.

I really REALLY want to succeed. I'm so sick and tired of the whole thing: only buying cigarettes where no one knows me; dumping on the body spray and chewing gum so no one smells it; coughing; and taking medication for high blood pressure. I think I might print out the recovery timetable and stick it on my fridge.

I have a question for those of you who have quit......is the first day the hardest? Does it get easier? Is the anticipation of quitting worse than the actual thing?

Any comments are extremely welcome!!!!!!!!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
cindy25

I quit after using the Ex program ( to the letter) and dealing with my biggest triggers before quitting. On my quit date, I used two pieces of Nic gum per day for the week. I was so focused and obsessed with the first three days (managing my craves) that it was way easier than I thought. I had a much harder time weeks into the quit. The mental craves of "no one will know"..."just one will taste soooooo good"..."I will buy a pack and throw it away after I smoke a few"..etc. Wow. That was much harder to deal with than just getting through some withdrawal!!!! I wondered if being a closet smoker made it harder in this way. I mean, I have spent YEARS sneaking....it was easy enough to do it. What's a few more sneaks???? I would advise you to watch out for that "closet smoker sneaker thing"!!!
0 Kudos
Renee20

Thanks for the advice. I had those thoughts about sneaking, as like you said, because we are so good at it. Did you give in to it?
0 Kudos
linda20

Hi! I smoked for the most part for 40 years. I quit when pregnant for my daughter in 1977 for about two years and then in 1981 for my son and that lasted about three years. I thought I could take one puff. Now for the good part. I have been a closet smoker since about 1984. Some people knew of course but I tried to hide from siblings that never understoon and my parents who both quit and were proud of me for quitting. Yes, silly. All that time thinking I was fooling everyone. Finally three years ago I went to a hypotist and quit around 2:15 in the afternoon. He helped but I had my part to do too. He said see ya in three days for another session which I did. I had to stay quit for three days since I wrote the big check and he was expecting to see me on Monday.

To answer your question about the first day, I only had HALF of the first day to deal with since I quit mid afternoon.

Then I found a website with lots of quitting buddies. Not this one, another which is no longer as good. I posted and read literature on the web pages.

I quit at 58 years old. I didn't want to run out of time.

Good luck to you.

Linda
0 Kudos
lisa19

yes, the first day is hardest, you get past the first day and say hey!!! i did the first day, i can do this!!! i quit before i joined this site. i'm only about a month into my quit. i did sneak a few smokes, but, they made me gag, so, i'm not trying to do that again. i use the nicorette gum, i chewed like 10 pieces a day at first. i'm down to about 4 or 5 a day. it does get easier. a nic fit can last up to about 5 minutes. you just either chew a piece of gum and get over it quick, or ride the fit out. the fits come farther and fewer between as time goes on. at first it is really hard, at least it was for me. it is getting easier. my dark circles under my eyes are getting better, my teeth seem whiter (is that my imagination?)

you just have to really want to quit or it won't work. you do have to muster up inner strength on this one. you can do it if you really want too. good luck!!!
0 Kudos
j-k

Congrats on making the big decision! I think deciding when to quit was harder for me than deciding TO quit! One hurdle done already... look at the progress so far!
I have been quit for 6 weeks today, using this program. My biggest and most difficult obstacle has been my own mind. What Cindy says about sneaking is absolutely right. I can convince myself that having one cigarette is not a big deal, no one will know, hey I'm a grown a** woman and if I want a smoke I can darn well have one... it's all tricks the addict mind plays on me. Acknowledging that, and being proud of every last bit of progress I've made are the best weapons I have found against my own tricks. I have to build myself up over every accomplishment so that is one more thing I will have to lose if I slip. Sounds a little silly maybe, but it works for me so far.
Good luck on your quit! You can totally do this!
0 Kudos
linda20

JK, I think you have a good understanding of the smoking addiction. It took me a long time to quit but I finally did but with the help of a forum and reading and reading and reading. Way back when my son was a baby I thought I could take a puff after three years quit. The only thing that puff did for me was remind me how much I like smoking and then I was a closet smoker for the next 20 years.

One puff can hurt. Big time!
0 Kudos
j-k

Linda, your story has always inspired me! I can relate so much to what you say, in so many ways we have the same story. I think that is true for a lot of the closet smokers here. We are our own worst enemy, but with help here and this program and people like you to be such an awesome example we can learn to be our own best friend too.
0 Kudos
marcia

Hi Renee,

Your story sounds much like mine. I'm not totally a closet smoker. Some family, (but not the grandchildren), some friends who are non-smokers, some neighbors, do know that I smoke. I only smoke at home and wouldn't be caught dead smoking anywhere else. Who am I kidding but myself?

I'm down to my last 4 packs of cigarettes and they look so sad sitting on my desk. I've been using the lozenge to help me get through long periods of time when I can't smoke. It does work. I have a large suppy of these and will use them when those 4 sad packages of cigarettes are gone.

My biggest concern is being alone in the evening and bored. I know those cigarettes were not my friend but it seemed that way. I have plenty of activities through the day. It's the nights that really worry me.

Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Marcia
0 Kudos