cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hi There! Feel Free To Share Your Feelings and Concerns

My name is Kim and I smoked for 30 years, began when I was 12 years old (my mother would just die if she knew). I'm 42 now and I'm a quitter. Never quit at anything but I'm glad to say I've quit at this. I want to be able to see my grand-children qraduate college, and watch my children get married. Want to be able to jog more than 10 secs.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
John-C.

Welcome, and congratulations on your ten-day! That is a great achievement- here's to many more of them ahead! Keep up the good work, you have good reason to quit. You know it affects your overall prospects for long-term health and your immediate health as well. Keep those reasons in mind at all times, in case you encounter unexpected cravings.
0 Kudos

Thank you for the encouragement John C. Today I identified a new trigger. My husband going to work. I use to sneak a cigarette when he would leave for work, as a general rule I decided early in our relationship that I wouldn't smoke around him. Today was the first day since leaving on our vacation around the 18th that he wasn't around....I didn't give in. I got up and did house work instead....I'm proud of that. Day 11 continues with success. 🙂
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Encouragement Kayla. Your right I don't want my children to see my life dwindle away due to lung cancer.
0 Kudos
kerry

Hi Kim, I too smoked for 30 years starting at the age of 13. I am now 43 and as of today, have quit 8 times in 2 months. I am going to make it stick for good this time. My mother did die of Lung Cancer when I was 29...it's a sight you never want to see and one you don't want your kids to go through if you have any. Keep going...you are doing great!!!
0 Kudos
kerry

Anytime!
0 Kudos
kerry

Hey Kim, just checking in on you. I am on day 2 and it's been tough at times, but i'm still smoke free. Hope you're doing good too.
0 Kudos

Thanks for checking up on me. It was pretty bad today. Husband's career drama as it relates to traveling..which stresses me out because I'm passive and will tell someone NO if thats what I choose to do...he is passive and will vent and complain but in the end do it anyway. WHICH MAKES ME WANT TO CHAIN SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAMMIT I LIKED TO SMOKE IN THESE SITUATIONS.

You asked! I'm still smoke free! I can't even have a nice drink or cocktail because why????/ Exactly. AND I'm scared if he has to travel ALL next week and the week after I will smoke because I worry about him. Sorry for venting.
0 Kudos
kerry

You can vent any and all times. I TOTALLY understand. My friend invited me out to a bar where smoking is for this weekend and I told her no way!!! I will want to smoke if I drink...at least right now. There was many a time today I wanted to do my escape and run outside and light up, but I still haven't. I realized today that the stress will not get better with cigarettes, I just told myself that for 30 years! You hang in there. It will get better!
0 Kudos

Kayla and John my apologies for not replying. I stopped logging on and focused on getting through the holidays and not gaining weight. It's only today that I've logged on and read a message from John C congratulating me on 39+ days that I realized that I closed myself off to get through it BUT I did get through and I should be congratulating myself, sharing my success with others, instead of closing myself off from the world in fear of smoking or eating and failing. Can't promise I won't get into one of my moods and disappear again but for now I've gotten over a hurdle and feeling good.

See my husband and I moved to a very small town in Wyoming about 5 months ago. I'm a city girl born and raised and it's taken a little getting use to. People are friendly enough but not the hey come over for dinner friendly, or call me friendly. I miss my daughter, my son, my grandchildren, my girlfriends. I miss the malls and shopping. So I'm trying to get use to it, trying to figure out a way to be more out going to meet people, trying not to gain weight and stay on my weight loss plan, STAY QUIT by not thinking about until it raises it's ugly head, and be supportive of my husband because his new job is so stressful. Not sure why I shared all this with you Kayla..maybe because you let me get away with my venting and whining on the 5th. I would love to hear from you and hear how your doing on your quit and hope your holidays are filled and surrounded by family and friends. Kim
0 Kudos