cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SkyGirl

Hi. I'm new. Can't wait to get started stopping...

Hi, everyone!  I'm Nancy, 56 years old, and  I think I must be as dumb as a box of rocks.  Why?  Because I quit for TWENTY-THREE years and then picked this nasty, deadly, expensive habit again just four years ago.  But I quit all those years ago, on my first try, so I know I can do it again.  I quit before with the help of a program called "Smoke-Stoppers", which had a real multi-pronged approach: aversion techniques, behavior modification, imagery, replacement activities, urge-fighting tactics and most of all, SUPPORT for/from the other people in the program.  I couldn't find that kind of a program this time, but I've found this website and I love it already.  I know I will need lots of support from you folks!  And I hope to be able to GIVE support also.  I've been reading a lot of the blogs, and it does feel a little like I'm trying to break into a group of established friends who all know each other already.  So, if there's anyone else new here, who also feels a little unsure about how to make friends and develop a support system, PLEASE talk to me!!  I'm in the "tracking" phase and my quit date is September 24.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cindymac

Hi Nancy. I'm new too, just posted for the first time. I'm an Art teacher, 54, and my quit date is Tuesday. Two days! I would love a new friend! I will tell you though-I don't type! I draw, just don't type! So if my posts are short-that's why! We can do this!

0 Kudos
rae23

Hi, I'm new too. Pleased to meet you. I've had a sort've a stop-start start. But that is not important.  What is important is the keeping-at-it attitude. 

It's like little girls who starts ballet lessons who can't point their little toes, tuck in their little fat tummiesand smile at the same time while elegantly toucjing their shoulders with their little podgy hands, heads held high. They try Oh so Hard, but if the feet point beautifully, the little hands are clutching the shoulders and the little smile turns into a little grimace of firm determination and if they manage to get the smile in place, the little toes curl up ... So they go to ballet lesson each week... And then one day ... they pirouette and dance and fly gracefully.  Heads held high.  Beautiful ballerinas.

We can do it!

0 Kudos
maja2

Hi nancy, Cindy and the other new person who I didn't see a name. I am Pam and I am new here as well. I have had many quits in the past. Recently I had one that lasted a year and another almost six months. 

My new quit date is tomorrow sept 4th!!! I also love this site and find it fun to use. I am  also getting support from the Florida Quit line. They call me and send me texts. It really helps. 

I plan on finishing all the exercises here today to get ready for tomorrow. I know we can all quit for good!!,

0 Kudos
kat64-2

Hi everyone.  I am Kathi, 48 years old and my quit date is a little way away.  Dec. 2.  I have smoked for 30 years.  I need some time to track my triggers and really don't want to fail this time, so I am setting a more realistic date for myself.  So right now I am working on trying not to smoke on 2 of my most crave times.  I am thinking breaking habits might be best.   Anyway, sorry about going on and on.

Glad to meet all.  Thanks.

0 Kudos