cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tamer-said

Hi. I am new to this site and looking for support.

Hi everybody. My name is Tamer and I am new to Become An Ex. As of now I am 19 years old and I have been smoking since I was 16. I currently smoke between 1-2 packs a day. I've tried many times to quit and once I made it 6 weeks without a cigarette. One major problem is that I am half Middle Eastern and most Middle Easterns obviously smoke so all my friends, my father, and hs family all light up. I am looking for all the support I can get. I try my best to live a healthy lifestyle outside of smoking by eating healthy and exercising but cigarettes have halted that process over the last three years. I admire what everybody on this website is doing in making a change to better themselves, which is a main reason I joined. I am planning to get engaged very soon hopefully and I really want to do everything I can to please my family and be a good role model for the younger people in my family. So if anybody has any tips or any support I would greatly appreciate it and I hope I can help as well. Thank you so much. Take care.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Giulia

Greetings Tamer!

As hothula said: read, read, read. Read all you can on this site and then keep on reading. If you're unfamiliar with Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking," check it out (most libraries have it). It deals with the psychology of this addiction and is very helpful. You need to have a strong game plan. Before I quit, I spent a month reading and getting my head in the right place to make smoking a part of my past. It it an ongoing commitment. One can never take one's quit for granted.

Discover the pitfalls of the past and train your mind to avoid them in the future. The main trap being the thought "I can have just one and stop again." You can't. Period. That thought should set off loud alarm bells. There is no such thing as having just one. Because we have a weakness for it.

But we have the strength to overcome, ultimately. By saying NO to each craving, one craving at a time, we strip the demon of it's power little by little. And once we are firmly in control we must never relinquish it by having "just one."

Welcome to the possible.

Giulia (2 years 5 mos +)
0 Kudos
carolyn19

You are young but not foolish. I see wisdom in your thinking and planning!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Tamer! Way to go on making an awesome decision to quit smoking! As other's have said here, it is best if you follow the ex plan and determine what method you will use to stop smoking. Once you do that and feel comfortable, set a quit date and let us all know that you have quit. This is a very strong mental addiction, as well as a physical one. I've learned that I have had to change not only my physical habits -- where I go, what I do, etc.,, but also the way I think! What has helped me is to look at the big picture in a positive vein. The big picture is a healthy me! My mantra is that smoking is not an option. It gives me no reason to think about it any further. Cravings are actually a good thing! It means that our bodies are getting rid of toxins. There is no such thing as one cigarette for me. If I smoked one, I'd be right back up to a pack or more a day. That's all it takes is one. No stress, anger, people, places or things can make me smoke. Only I can control that -- nobody else is ever to blame! Imagine having a best friend who gave you an hourly dose of deadly toxins with the intention of killing you. My guess is that you wouldn't like that friend too much. Well, that's just what smoking is doing to you -- it is slowly poisoning your body. None of us as smokers know when our time here on Earth will be gone...However, when we quit smoking, our life span lengthens and our lungs can actually repair themselves given time! You are so young Tamer. Don't let yourself continue on with this, because it can easily turn into years and years of smoking. I'm 50 and smoked for 39 years. Luckily I am OK as far as I know. I'd hate to see you do what I did. I hope that you will do the program and join us here! It is so much easier to be a non-smoker with people who rally behind you and support you!! I hope to see you here soon as a non-smoker!!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Tamer! Way to go on making an awesome decision to quit smoking! As other's have said here, it is best if you follow the ex plan and determine what method you will use to stop smoking. Once you do that and feel comfortable, set a quit date and let us all know that you have quit. This is a very strong mental addiction, as well as a physical one. I've learned that I have had to change not only my physical habits -- where I go, what I do, etc.,, but also the way I think! What has helped me is to look at the big picture in a positive vein. The big picture is a healthy me! My mantra is that smoking is not an option. It gives me no reason to think about it any further. Cravings are actually a good thing! It means that our bodies are getting rid of toxins. There is no such thing as one cigarette for me. If I smoked one, I'd be right back up to a pack or more a day. That's all it takes is one. No stress, anger, people, places or things can make me smoke. Only I can control that -- nobody else is ever to blame! Imagine having a best friend who gave you an hourly dose of deadly toxins with the intention of killing you. My guess is that you wouldn't like that friend too much. Well, that's just what smoking is doing to you -- it is slowly poisoning your body. None of us as smokers know when our time here on Earth will be gone...However, when we quit smoking, our life span lengthens and our lungs can actually repair themselves given time! You are so young Tamer. Don't let yourself continue on with this, because it can easily turn into years and years of smoking. I'm 50 and smoked for 39 years. Luckily I am OK as far as I know. I'd hate to see you do what I did. I hope that you will do the program and join us here! It is so much easier to be a non-smoker with people who rally behind you and support you!! I hope to see you here soon as a non-smoker!!
0 Kudos
edith2

I think it's great that you're here!! I wish I had come to this site when I was 19! I started smoking when I was 15 and this is my forth time quitting, but the longest I've gone. I have 4 years and I'm 53. We really need you in here! You definitely got my support! Every time you don't give into a craving, it makes you stronger. You'll get stronger every time until the cravings are gone. You hang in there! You can do this!
0 Kudos