cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

annie5

Here again...

I am doing the Becomeanex program again. How did everyone else do on tracking their cigarrets? Well, I tried to quit this morning by wearing a patch, but it didn't happen. How should we get read for our quits? Mine will be in Oct. I am just so confused. Do you start to slow down before you quit? I need a lot of support, thanks.
Annie
0 Kudos
11 Replies
tisha

Annie:
Welcome! My name is Tisha. I am a 30 year old mother of 3. I have tried to quit 10 times and ten times have failed. Take it slow. Read all of the information from beginning to end. Be honest and if they give you a suggestion, try it. i am only on day 4 of my quit but I feel amazing. I'm not gonna lie and say that it was great, it sure was not! I was a crazy wack job nut that could have taken out the townspeople from the bell tower. What i can tell you is that it does get better. One thing is, YOU have to really want it. Not your husband, your kids, your parents, nothing. YOU have to want it. I watched my dad have a heartattack 15 years ago. Did i quit? nope. in fact i smoked more. I smoked while i was in the the hospital having my kids! My last straw was friday morning, i was getting ready for work when i had a major coughing fit. My son came running up the stairs, put rm around me and asked if i was okay. That's all it took. I went to work, and I left my cigarettes home and havn't looked back. If you need anything, let me know. I have been through hell and back trying this and this is the one time i feel like i can make it
0 Kudos
edith2

Some people slow down before they quit. I did. It helped me get used to not smoking so much. But when I quit for good, it was a real test of how bad I wanted to quit. I didn't know what to do with my hands and I felt real nervous and figity. So I tried to stay busy and focus on things that didn't have to do with smoking. I kept watching the clock too. I would suggest setting a date closer than Oct. If you give yourself too much time, you're risking the chance of your addiction changing your mind for you. It is very patient and will con you into not quitting. Go to Becomeanex.org and you'll see the tabs to click to work on tracking your cigarettes.
0 Kudos
edith2

Some people slow down before they quit. I did. It helped me get used to not smoking so much. But when I quit for good, it was a real test of how bad I wanted to quit. I didn't know what to do with my hands and I felt real nervous and figity. So I tried to stay busy and focus on things that didn't have to do with smoking. I kept watching the clock too. I would suggest setting a date closer than Oct. If you give yourself too much time, you're risking the chance of your addiction changing your mind for you. It is very patient and will con you into not quitting. Go to Becomeanex.org and you'll see the tabs to click to work on tracking your cigarettes.
0 Kudos
annie5

Well, my date is in Oct. because that is when my husband and son will be gone for a week on a Tiger Cruise. I don't think that I can stay quit while they are gone or be successful. It is only the first week in Oct. When they come back I will try. My husband is the one who really wants me to quit. But right now he is waiting for when it is right for me. I was happy about that. I really do want to quit, but it is so hard. Ha! I have done it before. I didn't smoke during both of my pregnancies. My young sister back then said the words," Please don't smoke." and that is what did it for me.
0 Kudos
annie5

Thanks for all the suggestions! The quit box will come in handy, I think. I will do all of that. Right now I am exersizing a lot! My son and I went walking yesterday and he kept me out more than I expected! It was fun. I have anxiety too, so I overcame some obstacles. Would if one of those triggers is I have to smoke before I go somewhere. How can I separate that? Now smoke before I go somewhere? That would be hard.
0 Kudos
rachel17

Annie there isn't one correct answer to how to do this. Different things work for different people. Talk to everyone here ask them what worked for them. Then ask yourself which way to proceed. I myself couldn't do the slowly cutting down thing i just had to go for it but that way is definitely not for everyone. I do know one thing there are tons of people on this site to help you all you have to do is ask. They'll be here to support you and cheer for you at every success.
0 Kudos
carol-tx

I am 2 days in and I dumped the patch tonight - that will just prolong the addiction for me. I've been a smoker for many years and have destroyed my health - I want to salvage the rest of my life and live it addiction-free.
One of the best things I've found on this site is the support of others in the same boat and reading materials that really explain what's going on - some of those reading materials are attached below. I started the tracking but it was taking so long and I was getting frustrated with it and just walked away from that. Decided to just quit instead!
You have my support and encouragement in your battle - I'm with you and battling right next to you. We will win this battle!
0 Kudos
les

Hi Annette, Welcome! Everyone's advice thus far sounds really good, however, Danielle seems to have something in common with you, and her specifics of her quit sound like a big push in the right direction for you.

I quit cold turkey. I quit for a few days before coming to this site. When I found this site, I was on here for hours a day that first couple of weeks. I found that blogging, commenting and reading profiles really helped me mentally. As the days have gone by, my time has leveled off, and I'm not on nearly as long each time as I was, but I still come here a couple of times a day. I have had a few "moments" of frustration, but not the "omg, if don't have a cigarette I'm gonna kill someone" moments I've had in the past when quitting. This is what I did, and this has been the easiest quit I've ever had.

I realized this was MY quit. I had to do what I could to get through this for me. If that meant spending long hours on the internet, on this site to keep my mind focused, that's what I did. I didn't let ANYTHING deter me. I explained it to my husband and kids, that this was MY time, and they would just have to understand.

I renewed a couple of hobbies that kept my hands busy. Crocheting, knitting, sewing, quilting. I also found all the boxes of pics I needed to put in albums and got after that. I cleaned out the pantry. I made pickled jalapenos. I planted seeds for the fall garden.

I had my kids get rid of all reminders of smoking. Ashtrays, etc. They were more than glad to do it.

I read Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. I highly recommend it. It changed my perspective on smoking and my attitude about it did a 180.

I had acupuncture on Day 2 and sometime in the second week. I highly recommend that, too. It is not expensive, and it totally took the edge off. It relaxes you on the inside. I can't explain it, but it works. I may go back, just for the hell of it, it works so well.

I also truly believe I am worth this quit. I have loved myself, given myself what I needed to get to this point, and not allowed ANYTHING to interfere with it. I have nurtured myself, and given myself a wonderful gift, because I am worth it. I have my self respect back. I am proud of myself. I pat myself on the back, every single day. I feel beautiful. I am a little curvier as a result of the quit, and that is fine with me. I look in the mirror and see a healthy, vibrant, non-smoking woman.

The benefits are endless and I review them many times a day. I am so grateful that I am much more loving now that I know I don't smell anymore. I kiss my hubby more, I hug my kids more, I am not worried about keeping my distance while talking due to my breath. I no longer cough in the mornings, and STILL enjoy my coffee (although I don't drink as much of it as I used to, for some reason). My life is no longer dictated by the next cigarette. I have more time with my kids without having to go outside to smoke. I don't procrastinate anymore. My kids needs come first...no more "wait, let me finish my cigarette" when they ask for something. The list goes on and on. Focusing on those things really has made a difference for me.

Remember, you don't "try" to quit. You quit. It really is that simple when you decide to do it.
0 Kudos
les

0 Kudos