cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

larambarbosa

Here To HELP

I received a email from this the EX-Plan, requesting to share my story. So if anyone who wants to know hopefully this will help.

I have been one of those who have been promising my kids that one day I would quit. But over time kept on breaking my promise. I would do it for a day or two, then something would happen (stressful) and I would pick them back up again.

But one day I decided that what the hell I would try to quit one more time and I had picked the date of 2/14/2012, yeah that is right HEART DAY. I had it set in my mind, I had contacted those to help me get the free patches. I was broke from being a smoker, and the economy going so down hill that I couldn't afford to smoke. Honestly I had no money to smoke.

My major wake up call was a scare I had before Heart/Quit day. With me being a mother of 3 and wife for over 21 years, I was scared out of my mind when I went to bed this one friday evening. I am 40 years old and I had woke up with severe chest pain. WIth me being a medical assistant, and my father being a cardiologist, I was freaked out. I had such bad pains, it woke me up and I was in tears. I couldn't catch my breath. I was debating if i should just lay there and pray it would go away, or should i wake up my hubby to take me to the hospital. Of course doctors and nurses are the worst patients, so I just laid there. It did go away, but It was my decision to quit right then and there.

I got my patches for free, why not save a life, MY OWN. I wanted to see my kids future continuing, and living with them and for them was the only way to go. So yes, I will admit on my bad days (getting fired from my job, not once but twice) and now not being able to find a job, I have not gone back to smoking. I have two secrets to help me. I was so incouraged by my dtr, who took me to a candy store and said "mom get what ever you want and I will buy. " So i got me two handfuls of suckers. Every time I was having a graving, Yes I ate a sucker. But don't worry, I already had my gym memebership. I would go work out when I got so stressed out. I would go take my anger or nervousness out on the treadmill. I would crank up my music to Aerosmilth and jamn out and act like I was twenty again.

But now I am coming up on my three months aniversary, I hope I can help someone else.  So please email me if you need to vent, or need a friend to talk to .

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vodoukat02

Hi.  My name is Kat.  I have now been smoke free for 6 days.  Let me tell you, well you probably already know, the first week is hell.  Yesterday, for the first time, seemed to be easier.  I am on two patches and Nicotine Lozenge's.  Does the cravings ever go away?  When do they ease up to where you can stay smoke free?  Thank you for sharing your story.  I also have diabetes and that is another reason why I am quitting along with me having 2 daughters.  All advice and help is very welcomed here.  You can email me if you like.  VodouKat02@aol.com   Thanks again.

0 Kudos
larambarbosa

Hello Kat, Yes I know what you mean about the first week is HELL. I am a straight foward person, so I am not gonna cake the icing on. Every week is hell for someone who is trying to quit. If it was easy, they wouldn't call this a addiction. Now you said that you were on two patches, You are not doing them both at the same time are you? You can get to much Nicotine if you are. It is not recommended that you do two and the lozenges. It can also make you feel very jittery. At three months, I will be upfront and honest. No the cravings never go away, for me at least. But I keep on thinking the positives of the quit program in my mind. I put a calender on my bathroom mirror, so everymorning that I went to put the patch on, I got to mark another day off. It was a awesome feeling when I got to the 1 week, then 2, then one month. At each small milestone, I got to do something special. First month, my dtr bought me a mani and pedi. Second month I got a massage. This weekend is my third month and my dtr has never been so proud of me.

My hubby and 18 year old son still smokes around me, and that is challenging. But one thing that helps is when my hubby or my son comes to kiss me, I smell them from so far away. Trust me girl they stink. And when the hubby kisses me, it is for sure like kissing a ashtray. I can't believe for so long I smell like that. My poor patients and friends and family smelt me when I was at my worse. I have such a great support system, and that is what helps me. Everyday I wake up I feel so much better than the day before. To be able to breath, fresh air and with out coughing is such a blessing. To know my kids and family are proud of me, is priceless..

0 Kudos