cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

midniteleo

Help with separation plan for triggers.

I have been smoking on and off now for a long time. I smoke for all sorts of reasons. I work outdoors as a mail carrier and I smoke in between delivering mail. I am trying to come up with a separation plan to break my smoking habits, especially at work. In the past I have quit when I had to such as being pregnant or getting pneumonia but I have gone back. Now, I am wanting to quit for health and financial reasons but I am having a hard time and getting anxiety over it. Any suggestions? Help please!

40 Replies
Giulia

Hi there!  A hearty WELCOME to you!  I assume you've already read the material in the quit plan section of the site about trigger breaking?  Beat Your Smoking Triggers: BecomeAnEX   I see quitting is a skill that can be learned just like any other skill.  When we start to examine our smoking behavior  we can then begin to modify it.  Instead of stopping at the usual places to grab that smoke in between mail deliveries, alter the routine.  Skip one of those smoke stops.  Stop in a different place.  Smoke with the other hand, etc.  You'll be given many tools here to help hone your quit skills.  But you have to be willing to do the work.  Others will come along with additional information.  Don't be afraid to quit.  Think of it as a fabulous journey of self-discovery.  Be EXCITED about the new YOU to be.  This is one of the most enriching and empowering experiences you'll ever have.  You'll learn that when you conquer this (which you CAN), you can conquer the world!

elvan

Welcome to EX, remember that quitting is a one day at a time journey and that you are on the right track.  Planning for dealing with triggers is really important, as is identifying the triggers and how strong they are...some are MUCH stronger than others.  You can make up a little quit kit for what to do INSTEAD of smoking.  Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise, that's great.  How about hydrating, is that even possible when you are walking to deliver mail?  I drank tons of cold water.  Hard candies help, I liked very sour ones, some people liked fire balls.  It's about distracting yourself because craves really only last a couple of minutes and they won't kill you...can't say that about smoking.  Be completely honest with yourself about what smoking does FOR you...does it relieve pain?  Does it make you feel less angry? Does it make you feel less depressed?  Does it make you feel HAPPY?  Chances are that the answers are no and if you track your cigarettes and identify your triggers, you can PLAN what to do INSTEAD of smoking.  Read Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, it is available for free on line and I am SURE someone will come along with the link.  Read JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page and the things to expect the first 140 days.  The biggest things that will help are education, support, blogging...like you just did and talking things out.

We are here to help.

Ellen

Wantingacig57

MISS ELLEN..SUCH EXCELLENT ADVISE !!! You JUST HELPED ME ALSO

I am starting my Quit tomorrow... Surgeons ORDERS !! ;(  

Talk to you around NOON, later today

0 Kudos
elvan

Wantingacig57‌ You have so many reasons to make this a successful quit...please stay close by.  Please identify your triggers and be honest with yourself about what smoking does FOR you because all it does is to damage you.  

Ellen

Wantingacig57

Will Do 🤗💜💥

0 Kudos
elvan

Wantingacig57MarkDaniela2016‌ Is anyone else having a problem reading responses?  Part of what I ASSUME are supposed to be words are numbers and characters. Example: Hallelujah 💥&#128525

0 Kudos
Wantingacig57

Hey there my Dear Friend, This is "wanting acig57"!! My normal Email is Down, temporarily!! Mark has brought to my attention this issue. Those things are the EMOJIS that I have been posting !! Apparently the EX doesn't support EMOJIS!

I WILL BE BACK IN A DAY OR TWO, BACK TO NORMAL..SO VERY SORRY TO SCARE YOU!!

The characters are harmless...

0 Kudos
elvan

Wantingacig57‌ Mark explained that to me as well.  Hope your regular email gets back up soon.  Can't you just sign into EX without using email?  Just by going to your browser and signing into www.becomeanex.org?  I don't use email to get onto the site.

Soooo, tomorrow is the big day?  You CAN do this and you MUST do this so you can have your surgery.

Ellen

bonniebee

Change your name to a positive to begin with for example  "Idonotwantacig " sayings quit 1 free.jpg