cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melissa131

Help I am gaining weight!

I am starting a new thread, maybe others will want to post in this topic. I see a lot of talk about gaining weight and exercising. In my case, I worried about that before I quit, I used to take ballet, when I was teenager. And in my teenage years I would even say I was anorexic, I started smoking.

Now I am almost 50 days quit smoking, and a year and a half sober. I have gained 15 pounds. I realize I am so much happier that I don't smoke and drink, the weight gain is worth it. I have been pretty easy on myself, letting myself eat pretty much what I want, but I can't eat friend food (because of other health reasons).

At any rate, this week I am going to start writing down what I eat, try and eat more vegetables. I feel this will stop my from eating without thinking about it. It has worked before, and also I am going to read Allen Carrs weight loss book. I got it for my friend, and she says it makes a lot of sense. If anyone else has any ideas/stories/a need to share, feel free to write them here.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

hi, i have goined 25 pounds 😞 I am discusted. Not going to smoke over it. NO WAY!!! just need to figure ths out. I need to get moving. Yes eating LIVE foods is a great idea. I will share one thing I recently learned/

every morning now i wake up and instead of drinking coffee right away,  i squeeze the juice from one lemon and put it in a little water and CHUG it down fast. Then i dont eat or drink anything for an hour. after that I make one piece of whole wheat toast and mix a paste of pure (not pasturized) honey and ground cinnamon and spread it on the toast. It is good for heart, arteries, blood, weight loss. anyways then lemon juice is like a natural light clense each morning. Also, even though it is very acidic fruit, it changes to alkaline in your body. it is one of the highest PH balancing foods there is. I have been reading up on ph balance and our bodies. 

I dont know if i am losing weight (me and scales dont get along very well!) but I tell you I FEEL better and it has only been about 10 days.

P.s. sometimes at night right before bed I drink the lemon juice too. It is sour but I now almost crave it! so weird 🙂

Good luck to us all!\

Melissa, I think there is a "group" about this too, i think aztec runs it... its called quit and get fit (i think)

Marcie 237 days into forever 🙂

0 Kudos
shill57957

I am curious about the Allen Carr weight loss book.  I to have gained weight.  I have several diet books, tried weight watchers online.  None of that worked.  I go to the doctor Tuesday, I am curious what she is gonna say to me.  I too am going to start journaling what I eat.  My doctor told me last time to stay at 1200 calories a day.  That is so hard to do. 

Sheri 118 days of freedom (I think, I have lost count!!!)

0 Kudos
melissa131

Oh heck, I said "friend food" up there, I meant "fried food". My gall bladder was removed in 2004. @Shill good luck at yer docs. I have found journaling what i eat really helps. But I haven't done it in a while, guess I was taking a break from writing down all those cigarettes. But much like cigarettes it makes you more aware of when you are eating, and how much, and perhaps why.

I know that the other day I was on the phone trying to speak to a human for an hour and I was very frustrated, I saw my son's rice crispy squares, and without even thinkng I grabbed one and ate it. lol.

0 Kudos
melissa131

There is also a wonderful group about weight loss, nutrition and well being.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/exercising-and-health

0 Kudos

Taking the time for EXercise is as important as eating right! Use some of your quit money to join a club and then use some of your new habit building skills to work out regularly!!! The lbs. will come off naturally when you take care of YOU! Healthy eating and Exercise! It's not about lbs - that happens on it's own - when you treat your body with RESPECT!
0 Kudos

Taking the time for EXercise is as important as eating right! Use some of your quit money to join a club and then use some of your new habit building skills to work out regularly!!! The lbs. will come off naturally when you take care of YOU! Healthy eating and Exercise! It's not about lbs - that happens on it's own - when you treat your body with RESPECT!
0 Kudos
lady-in-red

I have also gained the weight since I stopped smoking (Oct. 28, 2010).

But I would rather have the extra pounds than be smoking.

I love being smoke free.

0 Kudos
dragulae

Melissa,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I've been attempting to lose weight for the last six months. Right now, I'm at a stand still. I go to the gym, run, and have an active lifestyle, but still, trying to get down what I weighed in High School is going to be difficult. Through my efforts this is what I learned:

1. As we get older we slow down

2. Our diets will change

3. We do not need as much food as we think we need.

4. We are fighting body fat, not weight.

5. We don't have to be super skinny, just be comfortable with you.

With that in mind here a few things I would suggest:

1. Keep a daily log of what you eat, and your activities. This will help you determine what is being effective.

2. Decrease the carb count. Breads, pasta, and other simple carbs lead to stored energy. (i.e. fat)

3. Stay active throughout the day. If you have to sit for awhile, go for a 10 minute walk every couple of hours. Try to do more cardiovascular excercises.

6. STAY POSITIVE! (Very Important) Self Esteem is crucial to your success.

7. Exercise with a friend, or a group of friends. Having postive encouragement is very rewarding.

8. Increase your water intake. Being hydrated really helps.

9. Only weigh yourself once a week or twice a week. Our bodies go through metabolic changes on a daily basis. Due to these changes, you weight will fluctuate.

Obviously, both of our lifestyles are different, but if you follow through with those suggestions, I'm sure you can cut your weight down.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
melissa131

Cool those are all really good points. Thanks. 🙂 

0 Kudos