cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gcor

Hello quitting world!

I've been smoke-free for three weeks today! I've been smoking since i was 17 (I'm 25 now) and 3 weeks ago I decided to do something good for myself.

I'm using the 21mg patch still and will continue for another week before stepping down. I've found that the patch pretty much took my desire to smoke away completely, aside from a few cravings here and there (and my habit was not a small one, let me tell you that...) What is more important, was that the patches allowed me to get used to a life without cigarettes. It's amazing how different your life actually becomes when it's not separated into 30-45 minute segments between smoke-breaks. I found that the hardest part was just adjusting from the behavior of walking outside and lighting up, to doing...well I guess anything but that! I've exchanged these behaviors with biting a straw or having a lollipop, but after about a week I didn't really need that exchange...I just started living life...

I'm scared, however, of what's going to happen once I'm off the patch...will I become dependent on the patch? Will I crave it? I just want this whole smoking thing to be over with already, and the patch regime is not a quick process (but this isn't a quick process no matter what)

So, I guess I just wanted to kind of see if anyone else has this worry, or if anyone had that worry but overcame it and successfully quit the patches, and how you did it. I'm tempted to just stop using them all together but don't want to sabotage my awesome progress. 

Also, does anyone get arm aches from putting the patch on your shoulder? I've really had a hard time with that lately. 

15 Replies
Giulia

Congrats on the three weeks!  You know how many of us wished we'd stopped at your age?!!!  Getting off the patch will only be a problem if you think it be.  That's just your addicted mind talking.  You've already conquered the hardest part which is the behavioral one.  The rest is a piece of cake.  Just follow the directions.  And remember that where you allow your mind to go is how your quit will progress.  You've GOT this!  Just keep going in the direction your going.

If you haven't yet, you might do some reading in the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/relapse-prevention?sr=search&searchId=449f027d-83b2-4ddf-8...‌ group and/or click on the magnifying glass upper right and type in "relapse traps".  A lot of valuable info there.

elvan

DO keep us updated on how you are doing.  One of the things that solidified my quit was participation on this site, reading, commenting, blogging...there are some amazing people here, a LOT of them.

Best,

Ellen

Diannnnn

gcor‌  I didn't experience any problems when I was misusing the patch. Hopefully that will be the case when I quit in 10 days. I wondered about moving the patch to my chest, but was leery of putting is so close to my heart. No specific reason why, just didn't seem right.

Good luck with the quit!  Listen to these guys; they are pretty smart cookies!

Dian

shashort

Wow good for you quitting smoking at a young age and congratulations on your 3 weeks that is awsome. Keep reading, learning and blogging your progress. You are doing great.

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on not smoking for 3 weeks. Glad you are here.  In order to be successful we must educate ourselves about nicotine addiction.  It is important to be willing to relearn behavior associated with smoking.  I am happy that you are not having  difficult time with it. I suggest that you correctly follow the instructions for the patches  and not worry but plan and prepare to protect the quit that you have initiated   As far as it being over with, the journey to freedom will continue for the rest of your life. It just get easier as time passes.  It is always a choice to smoke or not to smoke.  It takes a commitment to never ever put another cigarette to your lips, NOPE not one puff ever, no matter what is going on in your life.  No EXcuses.  Continue on your journey by educating yourself so you can plan and prepare before you come off of the patches. 

freeneasy

I used to get a rash from the 21mg patch. That stopped when I started using the 14mg.  Just use them as directed and don't  worry about craving a nicotine patch. The whole purpose of it is to just give a  slow trickle of nicotine to your system rather than the quick hits that instantly get into the blood stream from smoking.  Good job with your quit. Stick with it. You won't regret it.