cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kim145

~Hello! Taking the first step is the hardest thing~

Hi all, my name is Kim, I am a new member and need some advice on how to take the first step.... again! I have quit in the past (one year) and look where I am again.  I am bummed I have failed to be strong. I am having a really difficult time picking a date. I know it is bad for me, it cost too much money, it is not attractive.. yada..yada.. ya.. then why is it so difficult.?Any suggestions and support is welcomed! Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lonster

Hello,

I have chronic illness and since recently separated from my husband have noticed when I go to pick up my son for school or football practice I chain smoke. When I am ay home I do not smoke as much. I really need to quit and am looking forward to this site helping me regain my life.

0 Kudos
jessica29

i am a repeat i tried to quit last year and was unsucessful so i am looking again to stop smoking my quit date is january 15

0 Kudos

For me, the first step was to come to the certain conclusion that SMOKING IS JUST NOT AN OPTION ANY MORE! From there it was a fairly simple matter of looking at each moment and ask myself, "Well, Thomas, since smoking is not  an option - then JUST WHAT are my options? Boy, I found out that sometimes it was taking a walk, blogging on the BecomeanEx blogs, reading whyquit.com or quitsmokingonline.com, talking to a support buddy on the phone, twiddling my thumbs, ANYTHING!!!! Just NOT SMOKING! I only had to get through TODAY! Just for today and tomorrow I can do tomorrow. That was 236 days ago and NO - I haven't smoked even one puff since!!! Today I pledge (to myself) that NO MATTER WHAT I will not smoke! Come to the blogs and learn more! That's where we tend to hang out!

0 Kudos
canary58

Hi everyone.  This is my first post.  I've been smoking for 24 years and I've tried to quit lots of times.  I've joined this forum because I need to be supported by people who have been there.  The people in my life have heard me say I'm quitting so many times that now, they just roll their eyes.
I smoke most of a pack a day and wheeze when I lie down to sleep at night.  Weird thing is, I don't wheeze any other time.
Anyway, I haven't picked a quit date yet.  After reading the support info on this site, I now must choose between the nicotine meds and the Chantix my doc recently gave me.  I've been holding back because the side effects of Chantix are really scarey!  Gee, that sure sounds like an excuse to keep smoking.
The bottom line is:  I'm scared.  Scared of that ugly feeling of withdrawal.  Scared of the mood swings.  Scared that I won't be who I am without the cigarettes. 
I had to write it.  It sounds really stupid now that I have.
Some supportive remarks are welcome.

0 Kudos
madona228

this is my first time wanting to really quit i've slowed down to half a pack and then i get nervous and start smoking alot again it feels like it is a security issue

for some reason i need to have themto get through my life 

0 Kudos