cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

frankie2

Hello 1st Post

Ive been Nicotine Free since Sept 8th. I say Nicotine free because I found this sight after I Went The Cold turkey route. Ive tried to quit several times with Whatever you want to call them (non smoking aides,Lozenges ,Patches ect) to no avail. I will admit I was smoke free...However not Nicotine free. I am by no means on a soapbox preaching cold turkey. I think what ever works for you is exactly the plan you need. I smoked a pack to a pack and ahalf daily for 33 years. (I started at 12 yrs old). I have a supportive husband (let say most of the time LOL) I have not had too much trouble thus far,but I have noticed the urges have not seemed to slow down yet. I have however learned to embrace them and conqure them. And I am proud of myself for that.
I decided to post because I know nobody else that is quitting or has the desire to quit and I need all the help I can get. Im not sure exactly how this community works so anyone feel free to correct me If I make an error in posting (say something I shouldnt or whatever)
Im eager to make friends and I believe through faith and friendship Im going to be a . recovering Nicotine addict for life.
If an alcoholic is on the wagon ,What are we on ? Joe the Camel?
In case I have to explain so nobody is offended I have a very sarcasstic sense of humor If you think what I write MIGHT be a JOKE . It was probably ment to be.
God Bless you all
No slip-up and no relapses... Job well done today.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
carrie1964

Hi Frankie,
And congrats on quitting! You are doing the best thing in the world that you can for your health!
0 Kudos
dale2

My quit day was Sept 15, and so far no relapse. I started using the Commit lozenge, but then read about how you need to get nicotine free, and that cold turkey was inevitable. The suggested Commit therapy would be pretty expensive! I think that I stopped using the lozenge after 4 days, and I'm still feeling the effects of nicotine withdrawal. I have serious brain fog - but I have heard this will pass. The Bic lighter is sitting on the desk. I remember how freaked I used to get when I needed a cigarette and couldn't find that lighter. I think I'll make it this time - I've quit for a few days in the past, but always gave in to an urge and got a pack to have just one. That "just one" is the problem. Somewhere in my brain, there is a plan being suggested to leave my pack over at my good neighbor's house after having "just one" so that I won't easily give in. I was at a party over there last weekend and one of her friends said she only had 3 or 4 a day. I don't see how that is possible for me - after one, the urge for another is over whelming. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't enjoy that "just one". I hope this brain fog lifts pretty soon.
0 Kudos
bridget4

Hi Frankie - Congrats on Day 17! I have been nicotine free since Sept 8 too! Although, I've been using Chantix for my crutch. It has been helpful but not a piece of cake. I still have to do my part. I have thoughts from time to time, but they pass relatively quickly, Thank God! I'm reminding myself that I cannot ever take even one puff. N.O.P.E. Just like an alcoholic never taking one drink, I can never take one puff. If I keep that attitude, I can be successful. I'm glad I have people like you to take this journey with me. Keep in touch and let me know if I can do anything to help or encourage.
frankie2

Thanks Bridget,
I'll be right her with you also.
Thanks for adding me as a friend I need them 🙂
Frankie
0 Kudos
frankie2

Hey dale the fog passes Honest.
Your doing great. One urge at a time .Besides do you remember the first cig you smoked. Tasted nasty didnt it? I know mine did.
stephens

Hi Frankie,

I've been smoke free for three days now (Sept.22nd). I decided to go the same route and go cold turkey. I've stopped in the past and was smoke free for a couple of years. I'm also kind of fumbling my way around the site, so if anyone has replied to me and haven't heard back from me, don't be offended I couldn't figure it out (smile). My husband and kids are very supportive and that really helps.
0 Kudos
miles

Hey Frankie, you are brave for going cold-turkey.........I might kill someone if I did it that way.........lol.
I am on Bupropion, (Wellbutrin), and the patch, doing pretty good, fighting off the craves, but they are lessening.
Less of them, and shorter duration. Keep up the great job and remember N.O.P.E.
---
3d 16:57 t smoke-free, 90 cigs not smoked, $17.10 saved, 7:30 life saved
0 Kudos