cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sherry18

Have any of you been through this? Can you help???

For the past couple of days I have been getting up a very small, small amount of flem. It has been 27 days of not smoking for me today and I was told by a bunch of people that they didnt start spiting things up till a couple to 8 months later!! This morning I woke up feeling like I smoked 10 packs of the strongest cig's around.... My throat is killing me and my chest feels like its going to exsplode!! I'm still only getting up a very small amount of flem... I didnt know I was going to feel like this.... Is this normal? How long will this last??? What can I do to feel better? I feel so crappy..... PLEASE HELP!!
0 Kudos
29 Replies
kim50

Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't help, being on day 5 at this point, but I certainly feel for you. I hope you feel better soon.
0 Kudos
marilyn26

I call it the "Quitters Flu"

i guess some people dont have it a often or as soon as some others, but for me, it starts coming on about a week or 2 after i quit. especially the sore throat and heavy chest.

like with anything that your body needs to de toxify, all you can do is hang in there and try to treat the symptoms till they go away. ex: lozengers, tea etc..i basically treat mine as if it IS a cold and not just from the withdrawl. it too will pass
0 Kudos
sherry18

TY... Im already woundering why I ever started... I wouldnt be going through this if I never had started LMAO Such fools us people can be, doing this to our selfs!!
0 Kudos
sherry18

TY... I think what you have side is just what I'm going to do!! But if it dose keep up I will see the Dr. thanks Lots and GL to you!
0 Kudos
sherry18

Thanks, I will see my Dr. if this keeps up!! GL with you quit!!
0 Kudos
barbara42

Sherry,
I have been quit for 80 days and I still have not started to spit up any thing, i have heard that you are supposed to but I have had a hard time with my sinuses and I am just now getting that under control, so I will wait on what ever comes next and now that I will be better able to handle what ever it may be, by the way, the PEACE train, with all the people in it helps when the bumps come, you will glide right over them. 27 days mean you are in this for real, congrats PEACE!
0 Kudos
emily5

I know how you feel, i had the same thing happen to me, and it is a scary feeling. The good news is it will go away, and may come back again, mine came and went a few times, but it has been quite a few weeks now and it has stayed away, and i am feeling much better now. It is just part of how your body starts healing, although i know it doesn't feel like healing.
Don't worry about the phlem.... it will come up when it's ready, drink tons of water, it is good for your lungs also. Try to relax, and breathe slowly, in a day or two you should start feeling better.

Good Luck,
congratulations on your quit!!!
Emily
0 Kudos
sherry18

Thanks to everyone.... Iam going to wait to see ifthis keeps up and if it does then Im going to see my Dr. I talked the hospital today adn they said that would be the best, to just give it a day or two to see how I feel! Thanks so much to all of you! I hopped on that train and Im not making any stops along the way!! Thanks so much all!!
0 Kudos
rj_

Some people develope smokers caugh pre and continue post quit,
I never had one at all and only had a little flem after quitting, even after smoking 32 yrs, some suffer bad caugh and flem after quitting,
Long and short of it is, smoking conceales many problems associated with the lungs and health in general, I'd consider a trip to the doctor just to make sure.
Best, RJ...Free at Last.
0 Kudos