cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Has anyone tried cutting down on the amount of nicotine delivered by patches?

Has anyone tried cutting back on the amount by leaving part of the backing on?  I’ve left some of the foil backing on my 7mg patch so only about 2/3rds is exposed to my skin.  I know this may sound crazy, but my docs are messing with my thyroid meds so I didn’t want to ditch the whole thing to add to the side effects that is causing.  Next will be to cover half.  I don’t cut the patch itself as that would alter the delivery.  Any experience with this appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbscloud

Hi Gwen.   Sorry no answers .   

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

To me, I can't figure out how that would make a difference and I have searched and do not see anything like what you are asking on this site.  If I were you I would ask a medical professional to be sure.

0 Kudos
minihorses

I have known people who cut down the nicotine level by cutting off approx. 1/3 of the current strength patch prior to stepping down to the next level.  They say the step down was a much smoother transition.  Hope this helps.

Gwenivere

Thanks Julie.  I’m not actually cutting the patch,that is a no no as it affects delivery.  Just covering more that touches my skin by leaving some of the foil that covers it.  Thanks for letting me know others have done this.  Now I don’t feel so weird, well at least about that as I AM weird.  🙂

0 Kudos
minihorses

Didn't know that cutting part of it off would affect the delivery. Sounds odd but I see why it would. 

0 Kudos