cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kristih78

Has anyone tapered off ciggerettes while using the patch?

So 12 days ago I started on the patch, I have made a plan and its this . 2 ciggerettes every morning then put the 21mg patch on ,do this for 2 weeks ,next 21mg no more ciggerettes ,for 2 weeks, then the 14 mg patch for 4 weeks ,then the 7mg patch for 2 weeks. I have been very successful so far and I have been smoking 2 ciggerettes every 24 hours, any thoughts or have anyone else did this successfully ???

0 Kudos
12 Replies
elvan

I know that many people have been successful at quitting with the patch but I cannot say that I have heard of this plan before.  I think the most successful people used the patch according to its directions and they did not smoke.  I am not sure how to advise you...I didn't use anything but I do not have anything against nicotine replacement....I just think of it as replacement and not something you use while you are still smoking.  

0 Kudos
Kristih78

We are all different , I would have never gotten this far had I not looked forward to that ciggerette in the morning, however I'm ready to move on, when I first started my journey I looked forward to smoking in the morning ,the last couple of days ,I smoked simply because they were there, I'm getting rid of all ciggerettes tomorrow, I'm lookng forward to this, I'm ready and really excited ,because then I can call myself a non smoker, my wife is a week ahead of me she did the same thing with smoking 1 or 2 a day for the 1st 2 weeks , she has been a non smoker for 1 week now and doing great. I smoked ciggerettes for 25 years ,It takes time to change , this is what I needed at the beginning of my journey ,not everyone agrees and thats' okay, but for me ,it' works. To be clear , I did not smoke while having the patch on and I would not recommend that to anyone. I appreciate all the feedback and will keep everyone updated on how this goes, but I'm feeling ready and confident.

susan_m

Hey there!  Some of the most successful quits on here we're aided by the patch. I was a cold turkey quitter, so I can't offer assistance or advice, but the key is to quit..... the method used to quit varies, but the end result is (hopefully) the same. Best of luck!!