cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jean10

HOW DO I LEARN HOW TO QUIT SMOKING?

Ok, so I just joined and I don't know what to do next? Joining a site that says it's going to be of help, and finding nothing on here to guide my steps to quit....it's not really a big help. WHAT DO I DO NEXT? I went from smoking half pack a day and this week, I've only had one cigarette a day. I think I can finish this pack, 18 cigs left and be done, IF i just smoke in the evening, when craving is greatest. but really, what do I do? where are the suggestions?
0 Kudos
30 Replies

I used to love to drive and smoke. So, I borrowed a car from someone I love and who hates smoking. I am also getting a different (used) car and plan to never smoke in it. It is very inconvenient to have to get out of the car to smoke. I really, really want to quit this time. Thanks everyone; I just put a "pack" of straws on my desk. I think the motion of cutting a straw in half will nicely replace the habit of lighting up. I am finding ideas to help every day on this site. And it also makes me think of other ideas on my own. Good luck to us all!
0 Kudos
denice2

Hey Victoria!
Just wanna wish you all the luck you can handle!!!
Love the hair!!
0 Kudos
keri

It might just be the worst thing you could do for yourself.. (cutting down) Not only is smoking a physical addiction, but it is mental, too. You are down to one cigarette a day? how is that possible? I could never have been controlled enough to have only one! just quit!
I was smoking a pack a day, set my quit date for april 2008... and only quit 3 weeks ago, yesterday. I stayed up until every last cigarette was gone on Thursday night (knowing they were my last), and woke up friday morning a non-smoker. Because I made the decision to do it. The only reason I am not a smoker, 3 weeks later, is because all of those times that I attempted to trick myself into thinking I could have just one... I didn't! Instead, I trick myself now by telling myself "If I want one that badly, it's easy to get" -- so there is no rush for me to go back to it -- no pressure to quit
This is my 4th attempt to quit -- it's not easy -- but it is worth it, because I was ready. Best of luck to you.. I hope you find what works for you : )
--keri
0 Kudos
dharmagirl

Hi Jean -
Here are the things I did to learn how to quit. I am only two weeks into this quit, but I'm feeling really confident and good, and I think it is because of the following things I did starting weeks before I actually smoked my last cigarette.
1) I went to a bookstore and bought four books on quitting and committed to reading at least an hour a day.
2) I committed to writing in my journal, at least a little bit every day about smoking and about my fears about quitting.
3) I surfed all the websites that Google offered under "Quit Smoking." There are many approaches, and you will know inside which ones are good for you.
4) I started to try to differentiate between who was speaking in my head. Was it the real me? Or was it my addicion?
5) And most important: I changed my routines: Started listening to soothing music in the mornings instead of the news. Started walking instead of driving when I could. Changed my hair color (!). Bought healthier foods and started eating more salads. Started going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. All these things may not seem to be directly related to quitting, but they helped me to break patterns of behavior and helped me get out of my ruts.
Getting ready to quit was an important part of the process for me, and just by coming to this site and posting your questions, as you did, is an indication that you have begun the process. Keep looking for answers and they will appear with more and more frequency, but if you stop searching, the whole process will dry up. Remember that thousands if not millions of people have successfully quit smoking, and none of them is any smarter or luckier than you or me - but they kept going, kept looking for answers, kept trying. Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Dharmagirl
0 Kudos
brandy8

Try to remember that you ARE sick when you are going through withdraws... It's ok to be so, sleep through cravings, or curl up with your favorite blankie in front of the tv until it passes. If you allow yourself to be sick today... in 1 month or 3 mos. or a year you know you will get better. If you wait to be sick later, healing may not be an option. Also, try to remember that you have an extremely low tolerance for stress right now, so don't take too much on during this time. The littlest thing could send you off, driving to the gas station. Hang in there. YOU WILL get better. Quitting will not kill you. This too shall pass. One last thing... you are one away from a pack a day.
0 Kudos
alice6

Have you gone to the main page and gone through all the steps yet (postponing, triggers, etc.) It really helps to get to know the addiction, the nicodemon and how all of that works. It worked for me. It is like this huge prep to set you up to be successful for your quit date. That way you have alternatives to smoking and are not just left craving and losing your mind.
0 Kudos
brandy8

When I had a craving. I'd have a big glass of ICE water. It would shock my senses so I forgot about smoking AND no calories, and it helps relieve stomach issues and it's detoxifying... ETC!
0 Kudos

i haven't found the magic bullet either but just being miserable and anxious not sleeping, so i gues the answer is just to hang on and wait for that day that things look better and the cravings are not so bad, sorry i don't have the answer just support to help you threw, i am here if you need to talk, just write and tell me how you are feeling, good luck bobbie
0 Kudos
angeliah75

i know it sounds stupid when people say "try to keep yourself busy when you get a craving, think of something else" but honestly.........................it works. i am a NEW quitter of just a few days ago. BELIEVE ME...i LOVE the taste of cigarettes and i say almost every single day "i just want ONE"..... but, i know if i have one..... i'll have two next week, three the following, and so on. Now, i have help cuz im taking Chantix... and your trying cold turkey (cutting back) however if your down to one cigarette a day, your body is already in nicotine withdrawl.... and in 2 days without smoking your body excretes all the nicotine it had stored up. when you get a craving wait it out.... cravings only last 3 minutes and if you think of something else it might help. stay busy. thats what helps me. not physically busy....MENTALLY busy so you dont think about them. good luck to you 🙂
0 Kudos

no i did quit cold turkey but i am on day 16 with no cigs, one a day would drive me nuts, so i just keep busy, bobbie
0 Kudos