cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karen43

HOUSTON EX

Hi all---
Going on DAY 3 here without my smoking sticks! So far, so good. Actually getting so much done in an attempt to not think about smoking. Using the reliable and "tasty" nicotine gum - don't know how long I'll "smack" on it--guess until I tell myself to get off of it too! Tons of kudos to all who are on this path.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jack15

Hey Karen
Congratulations on your 3RD DAY OF FREEDOM ! Hang tough. My name is Jack, and I'm from Houston also. Actually i say houston for others who wont know diddly 'bout Channelview Tx......Home of the cheerleader murdering mom...lol. I havent had a smoke in 2 months, and just had my 1st pc of gum.......I was about to shoot myself ! LOL I used a program called " Smoke Free" I saw advertised on TV. It seems to have worked for me but I started having problems when i completed the 28 day program ( that was almost 4 weeks ago ). I've been cold turkey ever since. I've been experiencing serious anxiety and depression. So I joined this site to talk to others about the things they've experienced. Even though I'm 2 months smoke free, i still need help, so remember that it's not weekness to need the help! Stay strong, and chew that gum as long as u need it by god!
0 Kudos
karen43

Hi there--
I know Channelview---lol. OK- I have made it to day 6 - and for some unknown reason, it hasn't been as hard as I thought!!!!! I did it for health reasons - and now find out there's nothing wrong with lungs, heart---did a nuclear stress test yesterday----just got the results............so, of course, I WANT A CIGARETTE - but I have come this far---and for me, it is FAR - hard to imagine 2 months---that is FANTASTIC !! I have the patch, I swear I think it works---don't feel the edginess, etc....was pooping the gum forthe 1st 3 days--not anymore. Went "out" for the 1st time in 6 days-was able to have a couple of Margaritas without a smoke--NICE !!!! Keep on keeping on !!!!!
0 Kudos
jack15

hey girl.....keep in mind that just because your heart and lungs are fine doesnt mean smoking is ok ! Don't give in! your thru the first week ( thats the hardest ) . Thats " Little Satan " in your head telling you ....." your ok, have a smoke. " DONT LISTEN TO THAT VOICE IN YOUR HEAD! It tells you whatever it thinks will make you smoke. Smoking is bad in so many MORE ways than just heart and lungs.....for example..... I had a problem with boils on the back of my legs up high near my butt. It was painful just to sit in my truck or on a chair. I was getting them all the time, sometimes 2 at once. Since i quit.....NOT ONE! Also, my back used to hurt constantly. I chalked it up to getting older, but i recently realized.......IT DOESNT HURT NOW! Please remember this...... smoking is VERY unhealthy in so many ways. Stay strong and your quality of life will be so much better thru the comming years. not to mention you'll live longer. I smoked for 35 yrs, and i've decided that NO MATTER WHAT, I'll NEVER smoke again. I hope you make that same decision. Oh, by the way.....the patches do work..... my wife quit using them.....she's 3 yrs smoke free and hates to even smell a cigarette. I quit using the smoke free program. It's natural herbs you take in capsule form. It worked for me, but after i finished my program i was COLD TURKEY. The next 3 weeks were a living hell for me. I suffered depression and severe anxiety from withdrawl. I was ready to give up and smoke, but my wife stood strong by me and convinced me to chew some nico gum i had left from the last time i tried to quit. It saved MY LIFE ! So remember that whatever it takes.... DONT SMOKE ! You CAN make it !
0 Kudos
karen43

You are the absolute best !!!! Why not host an on-line seminar !!! I smoked 32 yrs., my husband--a bit older than me, smoked for 45 + yrs. and he quit with me too-----I will confess that I smoked 1 cigarette today---then put on a brand new full strengh patch and popped in my nicotine gum again-----would have made it through DAY 7 - but I didn't. I JUST WANTED ONE, so I did. I have kept myself away from "smoking triggers" - no lunch at work with the ladies, no happy hour after work, either. I am ON TRACK - I slipped -I am forgiving myself and moving onward thru the fog...................thanks for your encourament and PROUD OF YOUR ENDURANCE - GIVE YOUR WIFE A BIG OLD HUG !!!!!!!
0 Kudos
jack15

ok sweety......listen up ! You didnt want a cigarette!!!!!! The little voice in your head wanted it. If you wanted it you wouldnt still be trying to quit ! Right? You have to ask yourself...." do I really want to be an EX-smoker? " If the answer is yes, then tell little voice to go back to hell ! I tried to quit 3 times over the last year and a half. The first time i made it 6 weeks.....The second time i went 3 months..... The problem was I didnt have my mind right. The whole time i was without smoking i felt like a smoker on vacation from cigarettes. The difference this time is I got " MIND RIGHT ". I feel like an ex now. The first two times i didnt wonder if I'd smoke again......I wondered " When ". Now I've convinced myself that no matter what it takes, I AM DONE SMOKING ! If you can make that committment to yourself and your family, then you CAN do it ! My point is that the little voice in your head is a very convincing SOB ! You must learn to ignore that voice, and eventually it WILL shut the hell up ! YOU CAN DO IT, be strong for yourself and the people who love you, and want you to stick around for a long time. Now.....just do it ! By the way.... I like the on line seminar idea.....too bad I'm internet ignorant, and have NO idea how to do something like that. But thanks for the ego booster anyway.....lol
0 Kudos
april.3

Hi Karen and Jack - April here from Houston, nice to meet both of you. I just celebrated my fifth month of freedom on Saturday 6/7. I am an ex-smoker who smoked for 24 years before deciding enough was enough.

Karen - listen to Jack! You don't need or want a cigarette! I've spent the first three months of my quit wondering "When am I going to feel normal again?" only to realize I have spent the last 24 years NOT being normal. Jack is right - you mind has everything to do with this. So... the next time you get a craving - instead of giving in - log on and type all of your feelings out. YOU CAN DO IT!

: ) April
0 Kudos
jack15

hi April.....really glad to hear from someone further along than me. I'm at that point you were speaking of right now....... Wondering when i'll feel normal again....... I've been experiencing alot of anxiety , and sleeplessness. I would really like to have a good nights sleep, but i'm just not willing to smoke to get it. Did you experience these type of things too? I'm almost 10 weeks in and wondering if and when i can sleep again.... Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
rodrick

Work out, I know most people don't want to but it helps. Relieves the anxiety.... how it works for me.
0 Kudos
april.3

Hi Jack -

Well, I made it through my quit with Chantix - so for the full 3 months of taking the pills, I didn't get any sleep. And Rodrick is right - exercise helps me get a lot of stress out of my system and helps me to sleep better. I started out slow - i.e. a slow 1/4 mile jog - added a quarter mile every week and worked myself up to an hour every morning either jogging or walking my dogs. Food is another thing I changed - try to eat dinner as early as possible so your body has more time to process it before you go to sleep.

Hope this helps - April
0 Kudos