cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Werdna

HELP!!!!!

I set my quit for Aug. 8th when my psychologist comes back into town.I had set my previous quit date during the time he would be away.  I have tried over 15 times quitting smoking. This summer I tried 3 times and failed. This last quit of 4 days sent me into such a tizzy. Feeling extremely sad and anxious. I am wheezing and coughing at night. I have quit so many times my husband will be of no help because I have failed so many times. I will really need help. That is why I am on this website. Thanks to all who have read this and if you have any insights or suggestions I would love to hear from you.  Marlene (werdna) 

Tags (1)
16 Replies
Sandy-9-17-17

Hi Marlene, Sounds like you really want to quit!  You have the will to do so!   Have you figured out what caused you to fail in the past, and are you ready with a plan of action for those things in the future!  You can do this!  It is doable!  One Day At a Time!   You have just received some of the most valuable information above, and I can't tell you how much it will help you to read, read, and read, you can learn so much from others as to what works for them, and maybe it will help you to find what works for you!  Looking forward to following you on your journey!  If you want it, it can be yours! 

Sandy 294 Days Of Freedom

maryfreecig

If you are extremely anxious when quitting, you might want to think about what kinds of things you can do instead. Just not smoking and trying to act normal is hard for a lot of quitters--because quitting is a big change (in time a quit grows bigger and stronger and more meaningful).

Walking is a very common approach to chasing some of the anxiety away. It takes several weeks (in my opinion) to get past the obsessive/compulsive aspect of smoking--BUT it can be done. It's about breaking the brain from the addiction at first...anxiety, feeling strange, feeling an ugly void...is not unusual. Given time, smobriety sets in. No one is incapable of quitting--if that kind of self talk is going on in your head that you are different and can't, please kick it the hell out.

Welcome to Ex. Lots of quitters here new and old ready to help.

Strudel

Hi there and welcome to the site. I also recommend the book Nancy mentioned by Carr. It is so helpful. This site is the best support! So - stay close and congrats on deciding to quit! 

0 Kudos
WLFSRFAMILY

There is help here. i was the same way when i was admitted to the hospital for coughing and wheezing. Thank GOD it was not serious and I told myself I need to quit or I might as well just die now.  Well it still took me 5 or 6 tries before i finally quit for good.  Never give up on quitting!!!!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

GOOD to see you!  Happy to hear you are still quit.  Hoping you are also doing well!

Don't be a stranger!

Nancy

0 Kudos
WLFSRFAMILY

Yep hanging in there.  I do pop in now and then just to see whats up.   I will never go back to smoking I have learned alot from all of you.   Yes i will pop in more often.   

YoungAtHeart

0 Kudos