cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cjones2467

HELP!!! Patch is making me feel worse than smoking!

Haven't had a cigarette since March 15th....Started out with the 21mg. Nicoderm patch and I am also using an e-cigarette as a "pacifier"   the first week or so the e-cigarette had nicotine added but have since switched to a non-nicotine type. I stepped down to 14 mg after about 10 days.

I immediately got small ulcers in my mouth which I always get when I have tried the patch, this has gotten better since I stepped down, but my heart races and my breathing is so shallow and I CANNOT SLEEP!!...

IS THIS NORMAL??  By this time I was hoping to at least be breathing easier but this is worse than smoking....I want to take the patch off but I am afraid I wont be strong enough without it.  I go to sleep but i can't stay asleep longer than 2 hours..this goes on all night..I'm worn out during the day..NOT sleepy..just exhausted

As far as wanting a cigarette this has been the easiest quit for me. I guess it's having the e-cigarette to fall back on, and I am using it less and less every day.

help...help...help..

0 Kudos
7 Replies
agatha

I used the patch but took it off when i went to sleep.  If I tried to sleep with the patch on, I had nightmares and could not sleep. You might ask your doctor if you are having heart racing or not feeling well on the patch system.

I wish you all the luck!

0 Kudos
peoriaangel

My pharmiscist told me that using the patch can cause heart attacks! So,if you are not feeling well I would stop using it asap and go to your doctor to find out what is wrong and why your heart is racing!. Do it now!. Good Luck! Peoriaangel

0 Kudos
pattymint

I wonder if it the loss of poisons from smoking.And the cutting down on nicotine. ..the withdrawl from it all---if that  is what is making you not be able to sleep???  I couldn't sleep either.  I don't think taking the patch off at night will change too much, cuz you still have nicotine in your system.

I was flopping all over the bed for hours trying to get comfortable and get tired . It was weird. I could always sleep fine until I stopped smoking.

I am finally sleeping again. I don't need as much sleep I have found! That has taken some getting used to! I am still trying to get myself tired by 8:30 so that I can get up by 4:00. Instead I lay there and by the time I get to sleeping good, it is time to get up! AH it is driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
royann

Having used both these products you talk about I am familiar with them. Sounds like to me part of your problem is your getting too much nicotine. more than when you smoked. What level of liquid are you using in your E-cigarette?

You know they have different levels on the liquid? Hi octane . medium, low and none ?

and if you are using the patch AND the e-cigarette with the high level liquid that would explain the problems you are having and the sores in your mouth are more likely from the liquid in the e-cigarette than from the patches.

I'd back off on using one of the other as its not recommend you use them together !!!

0 Kudos
royann

Just reread your post and had missed the spot where you said you had switched liquid....sorry . still becareful with those products used together.

0 Kudos
cjones2467

I didn't really know how to order the ecig when I first got it ...now its just flavor or smoke or whatever the heck it is...

I slept a little better last night ..woke up just once and went right back to sleep....trying to let more time go by between taking off old patch and putting on new one....

I haven't had nightmares just a couple of INVOLVED dreams...but if i could sleep all night I would take a nightmare or two...hoping I will feel better as soon as sleep gets straightened out....

appreciate everyones input..

0 Kudos
cjones2467

REAL sleep last 2 nights...oh happy day!!!!  I think stepping down helped and maybe it's just the steps of withdrawal. My ecig filters are running out and I am debating about buying anymore...I really want to NOT have a crutch..

Still get short of breath, but that also seems to be a "normal" reaction to quitting smoking..I know it's not going to be easy, I just wish it WAS easy..Cleaned out my car this weekend , washed all my covers and curtains in my room, no stinky cigarette smell anywhere now, and that alone ought to be reason enough not to start back.

Good Luck to Us all!!!

0 Kudos