Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anaussiemom

Green Tea Fact Or Fiction

I'm going to give it a try.   

The Claims

Several manufacturers market green tea products specifically aimed at individuals looking to quit smoking. One manufacturer claims drinking its tea helps replace the physical habit of smoking -- instead of having a cigarette, you have cup of tea. This, it says, is key to breaking the psychological addiction of cigarettes. The manufacturer also claims its product helps reduce anxiety, relieve stress, control appetite, increase energy and detoxify the body and lungs.

What the Research Says

Science supports many of the claims made by the smoking cessation tea manufacturers. Green tea contains an amino acid called L-theanine, which the author of a review published in "Science China Life Sciences" in May 2010 says has a calming effect. Plus, in combination with the caffeine in green tea, L-theanine enhances the ability to switch attention and ignore distraction. This could help smokers deal with cravings better. In a study published in the same issue of the journal, researchers looked at the effects of replacing a regular cigarette filter with a green tea filter. After using the tea filters for two months, the 70 study participants had reduced cigarette consumption by nearly 60 percent, and over 30 percent had quit. In addition, researchers note that components in green tea help protect cells from toxicity induced by smoking
.#Greentea

19 Replies
indingrl

Thanks for report on green tea and GO FOR IT as long as you aint USING NICOTINE!  Green tea and NICOTINE FREE and NO stress for YOU!!! Triple blessed by God ONE MINUTE AT A TIME in this DAY ONLY! Yahoooooooo

JACKIE1-25-15

I drink it on a regular basis as a antioxidant. Very cleansing with lemon.  I would imagine drinking a cup of tea the would  fulfill hand to mouth behavior while drinking it. 

MarilynH

I enjoy my green tea I find it soothing and relaxing and I also enjoy pure peppermint tea when my stomach acts up but I like all kinds of tea.

Giulia

Lisaml  Sorry, was a while back when I used that green tea and I don't recall what brand.  I may have gotten it from a Chinese or Japanese store.  Don't really remember.  Any non commercial type (commercial being Tetley, Lipton,etc.)  Numi, Tzao, Traditional Medicinals Organic, etc. are good ones  They're not cheap however.  You can get the commercial types anywhere and they're better than nothing, but the flavored green teas (strawberry, etc.) I find are not appetite reducing.  It's the plain hard core stuff that is.

Eric_L.

i hate to be a killjoy but the change comes from thinking different not drinking different

MarilynH

It's great to see you Eric_L.  

anaussiemom

I did try this yesterday.  I enjoyed my  cup  of tea very much.    I dont drink tea much so it was sooo nice. Ahhhhhh.

Barbara145

The men in Japan smoke a ton and drink green tea a bunch.  They have way less lung cancer than smoker's in the U.S.  Scientists believe the reduction is due to the consumption of green tea.

Giulia

Barbara's right.  Well that is to say  I've heard the same thing.  But I don't believe it's just related to Japan, but  Asians in general.  They all drink a lot green tea.  There are endless studies you can google about  it all.  

All I know is that it's good for you. So DRINK IT!

Lisaml

Gonna move to Japan so I can smoke and drink tea all day and live for-eva!!    

0 Kudos