cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brandon34

Good morning, community.

On the eighth of January, 2012, I quit smoking. The two negative side effects I have experienced are my disturbed sleeping patterns (which would have been expected) and my hyper energy off of such small amounts of sleep over the last week.

I haven't had many cravings to smoke per se, which is comforting, but like others I may have not quite found a healthy alternative -- chewing on celery, sugar-free gum, et al --  which I have found to my liking quite yet. Anyhow, this is day 8 for me and I'm happy about that. Only my sleep has been the biggest issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Well you've made it through the toughest part Brandon. Those first three days can be pure hell when quitting & not knowing what to expect. The thing that helped me most with the urges was to just meet em head. Bring it on! Just let em come & wash right over you. They'll be gone in a couple of minutes & they get weaker & weaker every time you do this.

My sleep was sporadic too but it gets better as you get comfortable in your quit. Just relax & settle in cause it's a long ride.

Keep doing what you're doing...reading & posting...educate youself about our addiction & what happens to us during this quit. You're gonna find a new Brandon & you're gonna like him.

M n @

0 Kudos
Giulia

Brandon you're doing GREAT!  Past the one week mark already.  Altered sleep patterns are quite normal when we first quit.  As far as the hyper energy - I remember the first month or so of my quit I was super-charged.  I think it has to do with many factors, having more oxygen coming into our bodies being one of them.  Our cells are waking up and we are energized for the first time in years!  You can use this time productiively or let it wing you around the room.  If you have any creative bents - plunge into them.  Exercise will help release some of that energy and help keep the weight off.  

As far as snacking on healthy foods - FIND something you like.  (If you're just shoving sugar into your mouth - THAT will wire you too, but in a bad way.)  Rice cakes are low in calories.  Sesame crackers.  Pretzel sticks.  I've found drinking a cup of green tea helps with the food cravings.  

Anyway, you're doing just splendidly.  So keep it up! 

0 Kudos
brandon34

Thank you, Giulia and Mike n @lanta, I've found that it does get easier to get around to riding a bike or tricycle or walk a few miles than to let my hyperactivity keep me bouncing off the walls. I also play guitar so perhaps I can made a few advancements in my playing during this time.

Last night I still awoke but I remember that my dream had too many elements that I was familiar with. I don't normally remember my dreams too often, but this was different -- it was nice. But I didn't use a single thing as my blog from last night mentioned. I went head-on into sleep with no slepe aids, and after waking up only three times, I'm now awake around 7:55 am. I feel much better 🙂

0 Kudos