cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Getting at wits end

I’m now well into my 5th week of the 14mg patches and lozenges as needed.  What I am finding is NOW I want to smoke.  I’m tired of this half ass withdrawl and confused why my body has not adapted in all this time.  Why am I bothering?  I can’t breathe any better.  In fact my pulmonologist put me on more oxygen.  I want to live in the shower from cold sweats.  I want to sleep to escape the extreme depression.  My back is getting so bad that I can barely walk anymore.   The pain was bad before, but definitely more so since this quit.  If feeling suffocated wasn’t so horrible I’d probably say screw it and bail.  Last time I talked to my quit coach they said add more lozenges.  I haven’t because they feel like too much.  Like chain smoking and nauseous.  I was in the drug store and a woman there heard me say something about quitting and said what I hear here.  Best decision I could make.  Wish I felt that because I sure don’t this week.  50+ days, BFD.

66 Replies
Gwenivere

I’m already on an antidepressant and my doc doesn’t want to risk suicidal thoughts that chantix can cause.  Wellbutrin is chantix, different marketing but why you don’t take both.  It was a fluke they found it decreased wanting to smoke.  It’s been a lifesaver for so many.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I had no idea that chantix and wellbutrin are the same thing. 

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is an antidepressant used for the management of major depression and seasonal affective disorderand Chantix (varenicline) is used for cessation of smoking. The Zyban brand of bupropion is used similarly to Chantix to help people stop smoking by reducing cravings and other withdrawal effects.  Just a little bit of information I found to share. http://www.originaldrugs.net/antidepressants/wellbutrin-chantix.shtml 

elvan

Wellbutrin and Chantix are not the same, I am not sure where you got that idea.  Yes, wellbutrin's ability to stop was discovered as a strange side effect.  Chantix was designed and marketed to help people stop smoking.  The side effects are entirely different.  I have taken Wellbutrin for years to help with chronic pain, chantix was never considered...it didn't even exist when I started Wellbutrin.  I do not think they are chemically related.

anaussiemom

Welbutrin is used for chronic pain ?  elvan  Hm.  Thought it was for seasonal disorders, and depression.

And just so happens to help smokers quit...  didn't know that Ellen.  Chantix came out much later than welbutrin, I think.  Dont know the similarities, but perhaps they are discovering some IDK.

0 Kudos
elvan

I was told that I had to be on an antidepressant because my pain has been so severe for so long and the doctors said that it changes your brain chemistry.  I resisted strongly for a long time and then gave in...they tried many different medications but this was one I could tolerate without palpitations or oversedation.  Antidepressants can enhance pain medications.

Ellen

Gwenivere

You are right, elvan.  I was confusing Wellbutrin, zyban and the generic name.  People were not telling thier docs they were on one already and getting too much with RX's of the same thing.  One thing I did not know is it can help with pain.  

elvan

Gwenivere‌ I was told that antidepressants potentiate the effects of pain medication but it took a lot of trial for me to get one that I could tolerate.  Some made me so sleepy that I could not function, others would wake me up during the night because my heart was pounding so hard and going so fast.  

I would think that anyone who took Wellbutrin and Zyban, which are the same, would end up having seizures.  I have never had clinical depression so it was tricky to get a medication that didn't overwhelm me.  

I hope you are at least beginning to feel better.

Ellen