cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Getting at wits end

I’m now well into my 5th week of the 14mg patches and lozenges as needed.  What I am finding is NOW I want to smoke.  I’m tired of this half ass withdrawl and confused why my body has not adapted in all this time.  Why am I bothering?  I can’t breathe any better.  In fact my pulmonologist put me on more oxygen.  I want to live in the shower from cold sweats.  I want to sleep to escape the extreme depression.  My back is getting so bad that I can barely walk anymore.   The pain was bad before, but definitely more so since this quit.  If feeling suffocated wasn’t so horrible I’d probably say screw it and bail.  Last time I talked to my quit coach they said add more lozenges.  I haven’t because they feel like too much.  Like chain smoking and nauseous.  I was in the drug store and a woman there heard me say something about quitting and said what I hear here.  Best decision I could make.  Wish I felt that because I sure don’t this week.  50+ days, BFD.

66 Replies
elvan

I am so glad that you are getting some help with your grief.  I really hope that you can very gradually increase your activity, perhaps you need more medication for pain or muscle spasms.  No one should be expected to live with debilitating pain day in and day out.  That is not living.  I have to get to work this morning, will check back when I can.

PLEASE take care of yourself the way you would take care of someone else in your same circumstances.  Be your own advocate.

Hugs,

Ellen

Kristih78

I understand,  it's the hardest thing I ever did!!!!! Quiting smoking!! But now my greatest accomplishment!!!! Hang in there you can do this!!!!!!

Pawr

Stay strong. The voice in your head weakening your resolve is lying. I remember the scene in the movie  "Animal House" where the character Pinto had an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. Listen to the Angel!!

DonnaMarie

Hi there. Sorry I didn't see your post before and that I'm responding a week late.

I hear you. I have felt what you feel. I'm not there right now, but have been in the past.

You say you're in pain and having trouble walking. Is there an indoor pool where you can walk or get some movement? I am getting ready to do that very thing myself. For me, the effort of going to a gym, dressing, doing my thing in the pool and then all it takes to get back home again can be overwhelming. And because of that, a lot of the time, I just don't go. 

You say you're using patches. Have you considered going cold turkey and getting all the "bad stuff" out of the way at once? You can also talk to your doctor about possibly getting a short term prescription for something for anxiety while you work the early days of your quit.

Are you getting enough sleep? 

Because you came here and talked about your challenges, I have a funny feeling you're going to come through this just fine. 

Much patience and strength to you!

Donna

Day 40

Gwenivere

I feel the same about going to a public gym.  It’s just to much to.take on.  Especially in winter and darkness and rain as we have is Seattle.  Taking a shower at home is a majot endeavor.  I thought about cold turkey, but I know I would fail. I’m already on anxiety meds for a disorder.  Im actually want more sleep.  This is wiping me out.  Thanks for your reply.  February 2nd will be 2 months.  Goal is cigs first, nicotine later, but no rush on that.  My docs don’t care if I use replacement forever but no smokes.  I know I’ll reach a point I tire of the patches, but the lozenges really help.

sweetplt

Hang in there Gwenivere...gotcha in my thoughts ... try and do something fun for you today...Colleen

millon03

Have you ever thought about Chantix? I am using it and am pleasantly surprised by the results. All of the mood swings have been nonexistent for me.  Just a suggestion... Be at peace... M.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I heard about it in passing many years ago when I wasn’t in the market to quit.  I take many meds for different conditions and would worry about it interactions especially depression.  I prefer I can control, to some degree, my nicotine input with the NRT's.  I’m not stuck for 24 hours.  Thank you for the suggestion tho.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I think it is something you should take the time to look into.  It will not hurt to ask your doctor.  The decision is still always yours. One way or the another. It is still best to know. Several antidepressants are actually used to assist with quitting smoking such Wellbutrin which I used for 90 days.  Took the edge off and was able to make it through some of the tough times. 

0 Kudos