cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tina26

General Support

hi tam, I was thinking that the steps will be a big part of my program...stubborn is my middle name
0 Kudos
536 Replies
heather133

Well I tried, really, really tried to quit, but alas, I picked up a ciggerette.  So I am back to the drawing board.  It is not easy to quit.

0 Kudos
Connie55

I quit 77 days ago after 32+ years of smoking and several failed attempts to quit in the past. The difference this time is I have had enough. My new mantra is Not One Puff Ever (NOPE). We are all addicted to nicotine just as an alchoholic is addicted to drinking. When they kick the habit, just one drink will knock them right off the wagon again. The same goes for us. There is no such thing as "one" cigarette. It will always lead to more. Not One Puff Ever. It takes about 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system and then you have to start re-learning how to live your life free of addiction. You will never again worry about if you can smoke in this place, where are your cigarettes, do you have enough cigarettes..etc., all those little annoying "bugs" the nico-demon puts in your ear to enslave you. The fear the nico-demon tries to trick you with is a mind game. Be brave and join us. Will will not miss cigarettes, they are not your friends. have they ever made your life better or easier or taken your problems away? They are trying to kill you and they WILL succeed unless you make them an ex-friend. The book by Allen Carr called The Easy Way has helped me beyond anything else I had tried before. This book helped explain addiction to me and how to beat it. It worked! Please read this and join us in the blogs. http://joga.365.lt/Allen-Carr_Easy-Way-To-Stop-Smoking_Download-free-PDF-EBook

0 Kudos
stlauren

So I joined this website 15 days ago and today I finally set my quit date. I've had this date in mind for awhile but couldn't bring myself to make it official but I guess now it is, April 17th.  Nervous doesn't even begin to describe it. Thinking about it makes me so anxious, but I'm ready to take on this enormous challange...again lol. I'm worried because school is one of my biggest stressors. I'm currently finishing up my last two pre-requist courses for nursing school and the classes are not just difficult but each of them requires a lot of study time...this is where I run into my worst habit. I smoke and study in my room and I ALWAYS make sure I have at least 2 full packs of ciggs before I sit down for an all night session of studying. This is the time where I'm constantly chain smoking and the weird thing is that I can't even say it's always from stress.  Hopefully I can make it work this time and finally become the non-smoker that I've wanted to be for awhile now.

0 Kudos
izycnrenee

You guys, smoking cigs is so stupid.  I mean, we don't get anything off them like the buzz off alcohol or something like that!  I myself feel like such a crackhead when it comes to cigs.  I've tried Chantix three times, gum.  Nothing has worked for me.  This website sent me two boxes of nicotine patches for free and I think they might work!  I am so thankful for the free patches!  I know how you all feel from just reading your comments....I feel like I am such a strong person when it comes to most things but I tell you I AM ADDICTED TO CIGS BAD!  I am ashamed about it really.  Just hang in there and keep trying.  Thank you for letting me be in this group! 🙂

-Renee

0 Kudos
donna8172

What I been doing is when I feel the urge, I just tell myself no and try to think of something else. I repeat over and over I don't need it, and remind myself of this horrible cough I go through every morning and night. So try to use your mental ability over your urge train your brain to except the word no or I don't need it.....sure you may want it, but you want better health too so which one is more important..

0 Kudos

May,2 will be my quiting day I will be using the patch I am having high anxiety and I am very nervous thinking about it wish me luck and say a lot of prayers as I begain my journey in becomming smoke free and I will be doing the same for you all.                                                                                                                                                                                        We are stronger then this....we can do this!!!

0 Kudos
ermathebaker

my quit date was March 5, the day before total hip replacement surgery. i certainly did not plan to quit, i had a pack in the car for my ride home, but in the hospital it came to me that i had the first 4 days under my belt cause i was in the hospital. I chose not to smoke on the way home, and my journey began.  I started out real shiny and new and now i don't feel real shiny and new. I am not having physical cravings, but the emotional cravings come on strong for a few hours every day. I am a member of a 12 step program & my effort is to stay away from the first one!  my question is "When  am I going to be happy about not smoking instwead of looking at people who are smoking and wishing i could be one of them?  Yesterday i was CRANKY and I felt depressed for hours.  Can anybody help me?

0 Kudos
carolyng1093

Hi everyone,  I am quitting today I buried my younger sister 2 days ago.  She died a terrible death from a cancer that is only caused by cigarettes.    I had to watch my beautiful sister dwendle down to 75 lbs.  I feel so stupid that I can even think of putting a friggin cigarette in  my mouth.  I know that with support like this website offers that my chances of quitting are so much better.   Small cell cancer is the most aggressive, deadliest cancer there is.  There is no cure and it is caused by nothing but SMOKING.  In memory of my precious sister Barbara today is the last day I entend on putting a cigarette in my mouth!  

0 Kudos
geminiliro

My quit date is going to be April 16th. I'm using the cigarette tracker to find out my triggers and I read somewhere that life changes are most successful when you start on a Monday. I know I'm going to need help. I haven't used any sort of social support before and maybe that's why it hasn't worked.

0 Kudos
girlsrul413

I have tried to stop so many times I just don't know how to start again. I was doing so well until a had a get together and people smoked in my lanai. That was when I began again. Such a difficult addiction is this hard to stop. I just can't understand why it is so hard for me. I set my date for May 2nd wish me luck

0 Kudos