cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

green1611

Gen Z addicted to Nicotine?

Generation Z (approx. age group 15 -21 years) are addicted to smart phones, social media, and other technological appliances which are on their finger tips. Gen Z's life style is different, and needs are different.

Observed the they are NOT addicted to nicotine, as I see less crowd of youths smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco.

The probable reasons are

1) New generation youths  seeing their parents, family members who are  already addicted, and it is difficult to come of out such addiction..

2) and secondly, the new generations are so busy in their own virtual world, that they are not in need of any other activities.

Open for your views and observations !

pastedImage_4.png

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

And just like those in later generations didn't understand our addiction to nicotine, I don't GET this new addiction.  I see Moms walking babies in strollers and by hand in my neighborhood, people walking dogs, others just out for a walk, and EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM has a device in front of their face, and is using their thumbs in a frenzy of keying.

They are ALSO missing out on participating in their lives, noticing the crunching of leaves underfoot, and the sudden appearance of crocuses in my yard in the spring, and the melodies of the songbirds, and..........

Different addiction - same life-robbing experience it seems to me.  I have read that, just like Big Tobacco, the providers have designed applications to BE addictive with the likes and other bells and whistles that provide a hit of dopamiine

Different delivery system - same result. 

Sad.

Barbscloud

There are still many young people getting nicotine from various means. 

Tobacco Product Use Among High School Students – 2019: In percentages: Any tobacco product: 31.2; E-cigarettes: 27.5; Cigars: 7.6; Cigarettes: 5.8; Smokeless Tobacco: 4.8; Hookah: 3.4; Pipe tobacco: 1.1

And many are using other drugs including nicotine.

National Survey of Drug Use and Health | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) 

Don't believe the addiction to technology has eliminated the use of drugs.

green1611

Thanks you for sharing ! 

AnnetteMM

My 18 year old granddaughter smokes, as does every one of her friends.

I have idea why.

elvan

Discouraging to say the least. 

AnnetteMM

True

green1611

Informative article. Eye opener. 

Youths are attracted towards vaping.... feeling so sorry for them. 

As Barbscloud‌ also mentioned, many youths are addicted ! 

I can understand now. Youths are addicted to nicotine too.

thanks you.

Thesegoto11

They're too busy smoking dope.  Just kidding.  Well, maybe.

0 Kudos