cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Forgotten Triggers

They say you need to go through all four seasons to face all of your triggers. I think this took me about 2 years but have just leamed it will take longer.
I've worked most of my life as a designer in manufacturing plants. This means I can design something & watch it from idea to packaging as it develops into a product. The last 10 years have been spent as a design consultant. This means someone comes to me with an idea, I come up with a design, give it to the client & whether they go forward with it or not is of no concern of mine.
I've recently accepted a position back in the manufacturing world & am 2 weeks into this job. I used to spend a lot of my time in the fabrication areas doing guess what? Yes, a lot of my time was spent puffing away while working on a problem or putting out a fire.
This is a trigger that had been long forgotten until these past 2 weeks. I know I will not smoke but it is a little more difficult than I would have thought facing this after 3 years 8 months smoke free. This is just the first time this particular trigger has had a chance to present itself.
I will get through this as I've done all the others. I will continue to come here & read & post while gleaning what I can from all that you have to give. This post is not meant to discourage anyone. My life is so much better without the smokes but we can't take it for granted that just because we have a little time quit that we're cured. We'll get better but we'll never be cured.
I guess what I want to get out there to you is don't ever think that you've faced all your triggers. There's always one more out there.
Bring it on.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
cindy25

Wow Mike. Great reminder for everyone. I lost a ten year quit because I thought I was "immune" to smoking again. Let me say that again. TEN YEAR QUIT. The cigar craze hit -and I puffed on a flavored one with a friend.... "cherry-vanilla".... "not a cigarette", "No big deal"...."I would never want to be a smoker again"..."no craves for years"... etc. Little did I know that I would wake up a sleeping Nicodemon inside! Woke up with a vengeance!!!! Here I am, kicking it again. Thanks for the post.
0 Kudos
val_b

I will always try to remember this, don't take my quit for granted, and also keep in mind that Im addicted to nicotine, and can never take another puff. I also want my mind to know what one puff will do to my natural flow of my lungs functions. So I don't want to cause anymore damage to my lung. again thanks for the insight.
0 Kudos
dian

Quitting until our dying day.......... wow, that really hit home......... Mike, atta boy for staying smoke free, give hope that when I'm in my 1st or 2nd or 3rd year that I'll remember that trigger can still hit.....
0 Kudos