cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

scott17

Florida Quitters

Hey everyone, hope all is well, everyone still smoke free?? I know i have stumbled in the last year, but my mind is as focused as it has ever been and I am really doing good.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
39 Replies
c2q

Hello, Florida Winners. I live in Jacksonville. Over 17 years ago, my brand-new husband and I started a trek from Minneapolis down to Corpus Christi, with a 3 year stop in Tulsa, then 8 years ago finally jumped over here to the East Coast where we belong. We are happy in "Southern Georgia," and I doubt if we will ever life anywhere besides Florida. Love Tampa, too. 

0 Kudos
dawn4

Welcome Triple_A!!!

0 Kudos
marysela

Hello from Davie Florida , been in Florida since 1969,     Love it because I don't know anything else ,

2 days quit and strong !!!

Hugs,

Marysela

0 Kudos
dawn4

Hi MARYSELA!

welcome to the FL QUITTERS !!!!!  and

0 Kudos
dawn4

....................AND congratulations on choosing life SMOKE FREE!!!!!!!  it's AWESOME!

0 Kudos
fiordelano

Tell me how your kicking the habit and your technics to recover from difficult moments?

0 Kudos
fiordelano

So your feeling lite headed? Thanks to Chris the Science Geek we know why...

When you burn the leaves of tobacco and inhale the combustion products, you inevidibly inhale a whole bunch of a certain chemical called carbon monoxide. You may be familiar with this chemical; it's the same one that spews out of the, uh , "backside" of your car. So, yup, it's kinda like doing tailpipe hits. The carbon monoxide, aka "CO", takes up space in your bloodstream that would normally be occupied by another certian chemical that goes by the name of oxygen, aka O2. Funny thing is, your body uses the O2 but can *not* use the CO. In fact, in large enough doses, CO will suffocate/poison you. This is why doctors do not recommend that you get into your car in a closed garage, run a hose from the tailpipe into the window and start the engine. Take it from me, this is a Bad Idea.

Anyway, your body, being the unbelievable wondrous machine that it is, responds to this mini-suffocation that you are inflicting on it by increasing something called your "packed red cell count". Why does your body do this, you ask? I'll tell you why: in your blood are cells (they're red, go figure) that carry O2 from your lungs to other parts of your body. Because the CO uses up some of their ability to carry O2, you need more to carry the amount of O2 you need to live. So, your body produces about 10-20% more red blood cells. When your doctor is looking at your blood they will often separate out the red blood cells by spinning your blood in a centrifuge. The red blood cells all go to the bottom of the test tube, nicely compacted. The doctor measures the volume of these packed cells and that number is called (wait for it) the packed red cell volume. Neato, huh?!

Because humans have a pretty consistent level of red cells, doctors can actually tell if you are a smoker by looking at your level.

So, now your body is happily chugging along, coughing and hacking a lot but at least getting enough O2 to keep you alive. Then you quit smoking. Very rapidly the reduction in CO that you are breathing causes a precipitous drop in the amount of CO in your blood. But here YOU are, still walking around with 10-20% higher O2 carrying ability. So, you get a little, well, giddy. Kinda dopey. Hell, you're stoned, let's call it what it is. You are actually walking around in a state of constant, low-level hyperventilation.

Eventually your body realizes the big favor you have done it and stops producing red blood cells for awhile so that you can get back down to your normal level. When that happens, the dizziness will go away.

What can you do about it? Well, my advice is to breathe deeply and enjoy this free buzz. Ever hear of oxygen bars over in Tokyo? Well, they have them. You go in and belly up to the bar, lay down your coin and huff pure oxygen for awhile. But YOU get to do it for free!!! Take advantage of your inebriated state and blame absolutely every little mistake, faux pas and error on it. You won't often get this opportunity so DON'T BLOW IT!!!

One more word of advice: you may want to avoid making major decisions, operating heavy equipment or performing death-defying stunts for awhile. Ya just never know...

This has been a public service announcement by Chris the Science Geek. No warranty, expressed or implied, is given - use at your own risk. Offer void where prohibited, please allow 10-12 weeks for delivery. Your mileage may vary.

bellringer40

LOL, thanks for the detailed motivation Science Geek.  Your explanation makes some kind of twisted perfect since.

0 Kudos
debbie-a.

Happy Monday, What are you going to do to make this week a positive week?

0 Kudos
v-mike

Hi I'm Mike

I live near Tampa Bay and my original quit date was Dec.31 2009.......well I slipped and I'm back....temporarily. I'm gonna try cold turkey again,and will welcome any support or tips I can get. This site helped me greatly back in 09,and I'm hoping it will help me again.

0 Kudos