cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

adrian3

Fishing Lovers Quitters

I would love to join this group because I love to fish and I could get help trying to quit smoking.This may bea dream come true for me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
42 Replies
probassmike

I am a tournament fisherman, and it is one of my biggest triggers. I will smoke over a pack in an 8 hour tournament. I am hoping that trying to quit now in the off season will make it easier when we hit the water again!!

0 Kudos
pig_brotha

Hey is there anybody out there that wants to talk about fishing and breathing clean air? We need to confabulate folks and I need to know that I'm not going to be the only angry guy on a lake this week! If I can get the dang ice off of the driveway I'm going to pull the ol’ Bass Kracker out of the garage, head to the reservoir, and slap the ever loving hell out of the water on Thursday or Friday.

Gonna’ throw some suspending stick baits and I think I’m going to try a drop shot with a trick worm as well. I’m always up for a Carolina rigged “Green Lizard of Love” and I’m sure I’m going to sink one of those in some deep water while I’m at it.

Most importantly, I’m going to have me a couple of Mexican Breakfast Drinks (la cerveza mas fina) and I’m NOT going to smoke.

What do y’all think about them apples?

Tight Lines,

Pig Brotha

0 Kudos
v-mike

ok, i just put the boat away.the fishing was pretty good,the day was beautiful(74 degrees)and here's the tally for the day:

spotted trout=11

redfish=2

catfish=0

cigarettes=0...0.....0 (Feels so good,i want to say it over and over)...0

fishing is easier without smoking,i had just never considered it.Keep posting people.

still quittin

Mike

0 Kudos
kevheads

WHATS YOUR 2010 SMOKE FREE FISHING TRIPS

This will be my first trip smoke free in over 20 years heading north for Minnesota and Canada. This years trip in early June will be into Quetico Park (canoe only) in Canada. The trip starts in Ely,MN where we take a tow (john boat w/canoe racks) to the border, after checking in at the Ranger Station on the border, we normally travel for 2 days,portaging from lake to lake, getting as deep into the park as possible and basecamp for a week then travel back out to the border to catch a tow back to the outfitters. The whole park is Smallmouth Bass fishing heaven.Imagine being on lakes that are loaded with big smallies that might see a fisherman twice a year. After you get tired of catching 50-100 18"-21" smallmouths a day, there are plenty of Northern Pike,Walleyes and Lake Trout to catch. Some of the small lakes hold Largemouth bass. Being smoke free this year I hope not to feel like I'm going to die after portaging the canoe and packs across 1/2 mile long portages.

You can check out some old trips at  http://http://community.webshots.com/user/kevheads and http://s130.photobucket.com/home/kevheads/allalbums 

0 Kudos
kevheads

not sure what happened to that first link http:// community.webshots.com/user/kevheads 

I'll try it again,if not when I removed the  ( http:// )   it went to it

0 Kudos
pig_brotha

Went fishing today. Air temp was pleasant but the water was still 42. Saw a lot of fish on the sonar but they all had lock jaw. I threw everything in the boat except the seats and they weren’t buying what I was selling. It was fun to be on the lake… and all without cigs. Chewed the crap out some gum though!

Fished mostly deep 35’-60’drop shot, spoon, deep cranks, ratl traps, Carolina, Texas, worms, lizards, sinkos. Didn’t try a jig. Too much timber. Wind was 10-15 mph so that made for a busy day running the trolling motor. On the bright side I was fishing!

Can’t wait for some warmer weather. Looking forward to going to Alabama in a couple of weeks to a hunting / fishing plantation. A bad day there is 40 fish. They practically eat the prop off of the boat…

Tight Lines! PB

0 Kudos
dsantos120

Just joined BecomeAnEX.  It recommended I quit March 1st.  Not sure if I should quit cold turkey or try medication perscription from my Dr.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
v-mike

medication or cold turkey?,either one...whatever works for you.but you have to quit.if no one else says it,youHAVE TO quit NOW,while your still breathin.what will the fish think if you don't come around anymore?what will your buddies do if you can't take them fishing?you CAN beat smoking,and you WILL feel better.my personal preference is to look my enemies straight in the eye and show them who's in charge of ME.(cold turkey)

keep in touch(it helps),and let's us all share in your success.good fishin,

mike

0 Kudos
v-mike

Oh yeah,fishin was decent today,but i saw alot of fish,mostly catfish(thousands)and some trophy sized snook,floating belly-up.probably from the cold water,since these species are semi-tropical.i won't be fishing for a while,since i've gotten a hellacious dose of pneumonia and my NEW doctor,a Pulmonologist,needs to see if i'll ever get better with my 30 year smoking history.now,every time i get a cold,i feel BRANDED.does anyone else notice how the healthcare industry grills you about your smoking or ex-smoking habit?They must know something.

22-spotted trout

2-redfish

dozens of ladyfish

0-cigarettes

the pneumonia is tough,one of the toughest battles i've seen,but i/we will be tougher.

wish me luck,and hope my pulmonologist says i don't need him.

great fishin,

mike

0 Kudos
joe73

just  joind my quit date is feb 13, its going to be  hard but i feel confadent this time. im 29 have been smokeing since i was 15 about a pack a day . bought my first boat last may and love to bass fish, but its been to cold for me the last month tryed to crippie fish acouple times and thats better then no fishin at all.

good luck to every one.

p.s maybe when i finally quit i can aford some of those tru tungsten swimbaits

0 Kudos