cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lucky4babs

First Day/Anxious!

Holy Crap, people.... nicotine and the habit, are truly the Devil.   I’m 54 yo, been using this crutch for 50 years.  Integrated into my being on multiple levels.  A true coping mechanism.  I’m on Wellbutrin, put my patch on first thing.  Every last cigarette, ashtray, etc.  GONE.   Stress level at a 10

pic of me leaving all paraphernalia at a friends

Tags (1)
32 Replies
SuzyQ411

"I feel like I've been robbed", you said... 

Well, I've been there. When I no longer had access to cigarettes, I was a basket case. It felt like a major part of my life had been ripped away.

Now, I am SO glad I did not have access. After more than 50 years of smoking -- many at more than two packs /day -- I am now 229 days totally free of those nasty nasties that gave me COPD and clogged the arteries feeding my brain,  putting me at high risk for a stroke~ 

To help prevent a stroke, I had to have surgery to ream the build-up of cigarette tar attached to a cholesterol build-up from the walls of an artery. Complications from that surgery kept me in ICU for four days; and facial numbness from that surgery lasted for almost a year!!

And, I had felt like cigarettes were my friends!! They were there for me whenever I was stressed or angry or happy or sad and on and on...

I am still kicking myself that I actually relapsed about 4 months after that surgery; I had a holiday drink and bummed a cigarette from a friend. That led to two weeks of uncontrolled smoking.

Getting back on the quit wagon was not a pretty sight and wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Please take it from me

that quitting again after a relapse is not an easy feat.

Please stay smoke-free and continue on the journey to becoming a bona-fide ex-smoker..it will be worth it 

RoseH

The first 7 days are called Hell Week.  The next 7 days are Heck Week.  It does get better!  Just hang in there...  If you smoke you will have to start all over again!  Nicotine addiction doesn’t stop and start...  It will be just as hard the second and third times!  I know because I was not smart in the beginning...

You can do this!  lucky4babs

lucky4babs

Thank you!

im really struggling right now

no cigarette available 

so I’m safe

but I literally want to fall into a heap on the floor and cry

its so pathetic.....

over nasty cigarettes 

elvan

It's okay to cry, it's okay to FEEL.  Cigarettes stuffed our feelings down so we never actually felt things.  Give yourself some time and some TLC.  What you are feeling is normal...you just don't know what normal is.

Ellen

sweetplt

lucky4babs Get a shower and cry...it is healing...then go take a walk...all will help...not pathetic, being an addict and withdrawal...~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

Hang in there.  Keep moving!

Barb

Tanuaj

Hey Babs. I hope your hanging in there. The struggle is real. We know. Just think-make it through today and you won’t have to do this day again. Each day got a little easier for me. I just got up each day and said I’m a not smoker, now act like one. I kept so busy. I redid my whole closet. I cleaned everything. Do you get the text from the Mayo Clinic? I signed up for them when I registered on this site. They were great for me. They help you with tips along the way. Well, I didn’t check my mail today until a few minutes ago. I’ll try to check it earlier in the day. Ttys. 

tyndallgw

Babs,  we have he same quit day and it sounds like similar experiences.  Yesterday (Day 4) was probably my worst so far.....today a little better.....tomorrow who knows.  I guess we'll deal with tomorrow it when it comes.  Hang in there!

Tanuaj

Hi and welcome to the group!

Maki

It's ok to cry you know . We understand , and they are healing tears so it's ok to let them go . We are so proud of you because we know it's hard in the beginning .

We were there too and we can tell you truthfully it will get easier . Take one day at a time , stay with us , post as often as you need . Distract , delay , talk about it , drink lots of water and breathe . Inhale peace , exhale the anxiety the worry , the fear and the anger . You are taking your power back and you are in control of who you want to become . Cigarettes think their the almighty power in your life , your only way to cope , but they are not . Walk , walk lots . Don't smoke , do something different . Write a list of to dos you've wanted to try .. and start doing them ... ever wanted to learn the ukele , well you can learn now ... live life without cigarettes ...they were in your way of great things to come . 

This is a poem I wrote about a hundred days into my quit . There was fear when I quit too and I didn't know what lie ahead . Quitting brought out all kinds of emotions that were hard but I endured them to find freedom , you will too . It's worth it . You can break the chains that bind you to addiction and it takes just one day at a time , no more , no less and you are doing it ... congratulations ... YOU have the courage .  We are glad you are here , reach out anytime , someone will always have your back . 

Maki ( sjl )