cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

crystal12

Feeling like I want to smoke...now!

So...I have been a nonsmoker for just over a month. For me, that is a HUGE achievement. I have never been more serious about quitting. I am using the patch. It definitely helps, but I still find myself wanting a cigarette from time to time. This is the most frustrating part because I know it is horrible for me-and I should be OVER my withdrawal symptoms...not so much. I would smoke one right now if I didn't want to give up all that I have worked for. Does it ever get easier!? Do you ever feel like you don't want to light one up!? HELP!!!! I am committed to quitting, but I don't know why it has to be a constant reminder of what I loved about it.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
john89

Crystal I hate to say this but no, you never get over the temptation. Now don't take that the wrong way, you will be stronger at times more than others. The easiest way to forget about those feelings is to get your mind busy on something else. You probably have some freinds that have never smoked before at all. I beleive these are the luckiest people in the world. They never have to worry about what they haven't missed.
You are young and you will have more temptations than someone at my age (50) due to hitting the town and being around more smokers, so it will could be more of a challenge if you make it that way. But be strong and try to find things to do that don't require being around the smoke.
Good luck.
0 Kudos
amandaboyd680

HI crystal, I sure hope so. Im on day 4. im really going out of my mind. Its all i think about. Im worried. keep strong

0 Kudos
craig6

I hope it gets better! Today is day one for me. I've gone almost 9 hours now without a smoke and I think that's definitely the longest I've gone since the last time I tried to quit.

I'm using the patch as well - I don't know if it's working or not... I have a nice craving for a smoke right now, but I can't let myself have one. I also have nicorette gum that I would like to chew at times like this (when I have a nice craving for a smoke). Can I have a peice of nicorette gum every now and then while wearing the patch, or no?

0 Kudos
george9

Crystal,i have been smoke free since nov.15,yes you still crave one,i'm on patch an the nic. gum you have to keep buzy an stay strong .tell yourself i can do this.i smoked for 25+ yr's crazy that's all i can say knowing something is bad for ya but still do it,well now i'm an ex for good only promblem food taste so good now so now i'm watching what i eat.Stay strong we can do this untill next time good luck

0 Kudos