cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

slaykey

Feeling defeated

It had been four days since I smoked but today I relapsed I’m so upset with myself I just want this feeling of wanting to smoke to just disappear 

Slaykey
6 Replies
Barbscloud

@slaykey Glad you reached out.   This is not an easy addiction to overcome, so don't feel bad about yourself.  It took me 50 years and many attempts.  It's a process, so learn from your successes and your mistakes.  I can't tell you how important it is to understand this addiction and to have a quit plan in place.

Get back on track, but if you need some time to learn how to do this, it's better to do it now than later.   Finding the Ex, learning how to do this and having support for the first time has made the difference for many of us. There is so much here to offer quitters so why not take advantage of it.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Please consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time and to support your fellow quitters.  New and old, we're all in this together.

So remember to reach out next time before you smoke, not after.  Give us a chance to refocus your thinking--it really works!

We're here for you so  stay close.   We believe in you.

Barb 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

The first week is called hell week around here. When you smoked at four days  your brain was waking up to the fact that the nicotine was all gone and your brain sent the signal "smoke." Just wanting that craving to go away will not work. Planning on what you will do other than smoke when the urge comes up is a proven method to helping you react to the urge without smoking.  The urges get weaker in time. Stick with Ex, keep learning about the addiction, keep learning how you can empower yourself to find the quit you are wanting. You decided to quit, you acted on it, you made it three days--good for you for trying. A slip does not have to be a relapse. Stick with your goal to quit. 

b0e21fe073dcb50923b019cf8ee518b2.jpg315494758_458818689709201_662212453573083369_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpg313137687_445208214403582_360935064905514522_n.jpg

One day at a time

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Don't spend time looking back; you aren't going that way.😁  Instead, use your time to read, plan and prepare before you jump in again.  Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  Let us help get you do  it differently to be successful this time.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can purchase a digital version online or borrow it at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain

if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch. Each cigarette you smoked contained about 1 mg of nicotine. If you use more than one form of NRT, be sure you aren't getting more than when you smoked.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. IT helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first blue box.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Don't be hard on yourself.  You quit for 3 days, so that is something more than alot of people can do.  You can do this, you can be a quitter, lol.  I'm on Quit Day 65.  Quitting IS possible.  Visualize it.  Understand that you may have to go through it, to get to the other side.  But there is a beautiful, smokefree world out there, remember?  I leaned on God to get me through this, and he stayed with me.  The first 3 weeks were the hardest, for me.  You will be different.  Everyone on here is pulling for you.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Defeat is a stepping stone on the pathway to success.  Facile phrase, I know (I think I just made it up, but perhaps I heard it somewhere?)  Some of us with successful long-term quits have gone through exactly your same defeat.  You get through a day or two or four and then cave.  And THEN the choice is:  continue on, start again, or smoke for the next X number of years.  It's easy to give up.  We feel like failures and that we'll never conquer this and so - what's the point.  And besides, everything in us wants to smoke.  And  it's easy to head in that direction.

But trust me, you CAN conquer this.  If I can and did, (45 year, pack-and-half-a-day smoker), YOU can.  If Barbscloud, and Youngatheart, and SO MANY OTHERS here can...  you know, we're not superheroes who have some kind of "extra ability" to rid ourselves of smoking.  We just applied ourselves to the task of it.  Perhaps harder and with more dedication than we ever did anything before.  And, quite frankly, for me at least - that's what was required and that's what it cost.  My ALL.  

You may read the Alan Carr book and have an ephiphany and - BINGO - you're done.  But for most us - we have to work to achieve the goal of being non smokers.  So don't give up.  This takes perseverance and determination and a willingness to sacrifice some "enjoyment."  But it's only for a while.  Whether it be hanging out on the back stoop with a smoking friend, or going out partying with the gang or... that desperate need to "get away" during those times we are, well - desperate to get away.  (You can still get away without a cigarette in your hand.)

What we learn through this journey to freedom is that WE CAN DO ANYTHING!  We don't have to be the victims of our minds, rather we can begin to discover the ownership of it.  

Don't take the easy way out, say I.  Discover what you're capable of.  Persevere.  Hope you do slaykey.  Be the key to the lock of understanding that slays the dragon.

Lindaaham

It’s ok and good to feel your feelings.  The key is to not dwell on bad ones for to long.  Try to think of it like an Olympic skater who falls during their routine.  Or any professional who makes a mistake.  I’m sure they feel sometype of “oh god no” and maybe think “I should just give up”.  The majority of the time they pick themselves up and keep going!  Congratulations on four days! I have one day today.  Four is inspiring 🙂