cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lauralives

Fear

Hello Everyone, 

I am going to be vulnerable here.  I know I need to stay in the moment, and take it one day at a time.  When a thought creeps in, repeatedly, I feel the need to face it.  I am afraid.  I have been in mostly guarded, unstressful circumstances since Monday, when I quit smoking.  What about when I am around someone smoking?  When, inevitably, I am around people drinking?  I am not drinking and hope to let that addiction go as well.  When I am stressed?  When the love of my life, Luka, my 12 1/2 year old German Shepherd can no longer stand on those wobbly three legs of his, and I have to put him down?  When my kids go through challenges and when I feel so shaky? 

Am I whining here?  I hope not.  I am just voicing my fears.  Experience will help me be more courageous.  Time will give me strength.  Do I trust myself?  Honesty, not completely. 

I do know that I have all of you and this site to support me and I will continue to come back and build my self confidence.

Lauralives because I chose to live without smoking!!

14 Replies
elvan

No problem, Laura.  I didn't use any NRT.  I don't have anything against using things but, the truth is that I got really sick, I mean death's door sick and I KNEW it was my last warning.  I had pneumonia along with an exacerbation of COPD.  I could hardly speak because I had so little air.  I refused to be admitted to ICU because I am a stubborn old nurse.  I stayed at home and did nebulizer treatments, drank GALLONS of liquids, hung myself upside down to get the mucous to move, took two antibiotics, and got a little better a little at a time. I promised myself then that it was over.  I saw my husband and son come into my room to check on me and the look of fear that was on their faces was not something I wanted to see again if I could avoid it.  For YEARS, I told people that I would quit if I could get my pain under control.  The fact is, my pain is NEVER going to be under control, my spine is deteriorating, I need bilateral shoulder replacements, I have RA, I break ribs bending over.  I am going to live with pain, period.  I take pain medication very cautiously, I meditate, I exercise, I do the things I should have been doing all my life.  I FEEL now, not just the physical pain but the feelings that we are all meant to deal with, I know now that it is perfectly acceptable to get angry, to cry, to laugh loudly, to love with all of my heart.  I know that this is what life is supposed to be, not a drug infused coma.  Quitting is really STARTING to live your life.

Lauralives

You have a lot to deal with. I see you as very strong and clear about how you are going to do things. I so admire that. You've been through so much and have pain and you're still a fighter. That is wonderful. Thank you for sharing such personal events. It brings such strength to the foreground of your battle. You are truly a love warrior!! Lauralives

Sent from my iPhone

MarilynH

One day at a time or if need be one hr, one minute or even one second but as long as you keep moving forward and stacking up your precious smoke free days then you can and will live a life of Freedom from the clutches of the dreaded nicotine poison, you can do this. I smoked for 40 yrs and now have over 2 and a half yrs quit and in the early days and wks of my quit when I was around smokers, I would take a deep breath and remind myself that I didn't smoke anymore and left as soon as I could and if I had to be around alcohol, I would make sure that I had a bottle of water because it's best to refrain from alcohol until you feel secure in your quit which wasn't a problem for me because I quit drinking nearly 6 6 yrs ago ,you can and will be successful Lauralives

bonniebee

Hi Laura ,

I know that feeling of fear very well. I used to even be afraid of the feeling of withdrawal, so much so, that I did not even attempt to quit until I had been smoking for almost 30 years. I truly thought I might lose my mind . Even then  I went back and never made it until now after 52 years of smoking ! Next week I will be celebrating  2 years of freedom from smoking ! 

There is just one thing that I think could possibly make me smoke again and that one thing I leave in God's hands I have no control over the future but I know that everyday that I  do not smoke will make me  that much stronger to face whatever happens .

If something happens that takes me off guard I know I have a huge support group here on Ex that would be my second line of defense (The Lord being my  first ! ) .

Do not get caught up thinking ahead into the future, that is negative thinking and will be extremely detrimental to quitting. One's mindset has so much to do with success ! I have really learned to think positive about my quit from the wonderful people and friends here on Ex. When a fearful thought comes into your mind , change your thinking immediately and think a positive and affirming thought about yourself and your quit .

A Quote : You have nothing to fear but fear itself  

Lauralives

Thank you Bonnie! I love what you said and the advice is great. We can't

know what lies ahead, but if we know what lies within us, we can face any

challenge!! Laura

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM, BonnieBee.quit.2.8.15 <